1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

2 new figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    First, I wanted to explain why I haven't posted anything for a while. It's because I've been painting a second copy of the Andrea Adolph Galland bust for a fellow in Washington D.C. Since I had posted pictures of the first one, I felt that I didn't want to bore you all with more of the same.
    But now I'm starting 2 new figures and I want to ask you all for you assistance and your opinions.
    These 80mm scale figures were sculpted by and are going to produced by Jeff Meckley for his company Think One Eighty Studios. These are going to be used for his box art and also for viewing on his website. You can imagine that I'm concerned about getting everything correct when I paint them for Jeff.
    So what I would like is to ask you all for help with a couple questions.

First up is a WWII German infantry soldier. Here's a picture...
    I'll be painting the trouser in the pea pattern camoflauge scheme. What are the best oil paint colors to use for this? Also, what is the proper color for the gaiters he is wearing? The tunic will be the traditional field grey color.

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Next is a Roman cavalry soldier...
    So far I've gotten lots of good reference info from Jeff on how he wants this one painted. The undershirt and the "skirt" will be painted off white. The trousers will be a khaki color and the cape will be a linen color.

I appreciate any help you good folks can give me with these figures.
    Thanks in advance,
    Craig

Attached Files:

3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Hi Craig-

These look like fun. German Camo in oil, huh? That frightens me beyond rational thought. :lol: Hopefully, Pete H can check in...

I like the look of the Roman. This may go on my list!

Keith
  4. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hey Craig,

The Roman will be interesting. While combing thru my gray army to find something new to paint, I ran across a figure by Soldiers that looks to be a Roman cavalryman from the same era. I wasn't sure what exactly he was til I saw your guy. The Soldiers box art colors are nothing like the ones you've chosen. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Mike
  5. Evan August New Member

6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the feedback.

Keith, I've never had much success with camo before but that's what Jeff requested so I'm going to give it my best shot. Wish me luck :).

Mike, My first thought was that the undershirt would be red but according to jeff red was just everyones best guess and he preferred me doing it in white.

Evan, thanks for that link. It's just what I needed.

I'll be posting pics as I go along on these figures. I appreciate any comments and help that you can give me.

Thanks again,
    Craig
  7. Calvin Member

8. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Luca,
    Great quality photograph.
    Just wish it showed more of the trousers :).
    Thanks (y)
    Craig
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Maybe this link will help.

http://pacificcoast.net/~gmax/uniforms/uniforms.htm

Scroll down the page to look at close-ups of the various camouflage patterns. Then go back up the page and click on SS Camouflage you'll find pictures of the uniform you want.~Gary
  10. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Gary,
    Excellent site. Thanks for the link.
    Craig
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  12. Pete_H New Member

Craig,
    The guys are right: the gaiters are close to a light-greyish olive green, which faded to something close to light khaki. As for the pea pattern trousers, I'd recommend doing the pattern in acrylics and then shade with oils. I just got back from work, so let me dig through my notes and find the Vallejo colors & sequence for replicating this pattern (I did a presentation at a SCAHMS meeting a few years ago on painting this pattern on S&T's 1/16 Ardennes panzergrenadier).
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I believe Colorado Miniatures also has some paint mixes on their website in the Vallejo section.~Gary
  14. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Pete...thanks for looking up your list. I'd appreciate seeing it.
    Gary....That definitely helps. Many thanks for that.

Good news for me. I called a friend last night ans he told me that he has that Scheiffer book on German camo :) .Going to his house Saturday to look at it.
    Between that and all the help you folks have given me, I'll have no excuses for not getting it right :eek:!

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
    Craig