1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Virginia Cavalry uniforms?

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Dani A., Mar 12, 2007.

1. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

A friend of mine has an old Series 77 figure portraying a 1st Virginia Cavalry sergeant. He has asked me about this uniform's accuracy; I'm not really sure. We is wearing a grey shell jacket with black braiding (lace, really) across his chest, collar and cuff trimming, chevrons and trouser stripes, all in black too.

I have a lot of references on the ACW, and I have found this uniform in several of the older ones, like the corresponding "Military Uniforms in America" plate (in this not only shell jackets, but frock coats, are included, in the black laced style), or the old Blandford book by Haythorntwaite; but I am not finding it mentioned in more recent works, like Ron Field's various works. I have seen a period engraving showing what seems this kind of uniform too. There is a Troiani plate which shows a simpler uniform at the battle of 1st Bull Run.

Was the described uniform worn in that form at some moment by the 1st Va. Cavalry? I understand they could have worn differently styled uniforms in different periods, and even different companies could wear different uniforms, which could account for the apparent inconsistencies.

Regards,

Dani
  2. ckleisch New Member

In regards to your inquiry I have had the opportunity at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond to view various Uniforms. I too have the figure and was concerned with accuracy. The best description is that just about anything in a faded grey/brown or light cofee color will best fit. The troopers all wore a combination of issue and personal clothing and the Officers tried to be as "grey" as feasible. I probably have the same plates as you. I found the plates in the Osprey Series to be helpful. The pipings wwould be closer to a MarsBlack.