1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st SSF

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Aug 9, 2006.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here is the 1st ssf ready for primer. I have left off the sidearm and the canteen. I also started a second figure to go along with him. This has turned into a small diorama.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Nice one John, not my period but never the less a fantastic sculpt!!!
    Keep us posted mate!
  3. Frank-Holger Member

Yeah! I love "the beautiful figure" and it doesn´t matter what period (ok, beside Science Fiction and Fantasy it is the Soldier itself) and these two guys look, as ever, very promising: Crisp detail, great anatomy and a good stance! I can´t get enough of that stuff!!

Frank
  4. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    nice work waiting for paint!!!!
  5. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Nice job John. The details look great.

-jim cox
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    You have a real flare for the subject matter
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very nicely done John!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for all of your comments. It's a favorite subject of mine and I think Mediterranean theater subjects are underrepresented anyway. The 1st SSF is a very interesting unique unit.
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work John.......is it going to be a single figure or part of a vignette?
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    John, as usual beautiful work, my compliments.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Very very nice. All of the the detail work on figure #1 is fantastic, epecially the knife being wiped on the coat as well as the tops of the Thompson's clips poking out of the magazine pouches. The pose on #2 looks really convincing. Great stuff, thanks for posting.~Gary
  12. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    This is really great John,excellent sculping!
    christos
  13. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    John , great work. I think it's one of your best. If not the best. Show us more please

Stephen Mallia
  14. Dani A. New Member

Hi John,

I think you are progressing steadily. This is probably your best work to date. I own the "Spercommandos" book too, and it is a mine of inspiration. Very nice the detail of the 30-rd magazines carried in the 20-rd carriers. The bulky mountain trousers are well made, being specially apparent in the kneeling figure.

My only quibble would be that I think your first idea for the wiping knife pose worked better than the present one - I believe it conveyed the concept better, and it was graphically more effective because the action faced the viewer, who immediately would understand it on seeing the blood smudge on the hip. Now all of this will be at the back of the figure, and the effect will be somewhat less obvious. Of course this is my opinion (I have seen this was discussed in an earlier thread, but I had some problems with my computer and could not make this observation then, but I still believe it can be useful).

Regards,

Daniel
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dani, As John is planning at least a 3 figure vignette, what is to say the kneeling figure (#2) will be the furthest away, but facing the viewer. The victim (#3) could be in the middle and figure #1 closest to the viewer will have his back to the viewer, better showing him wiping his knife off. This is just one set up I'm imagining, I'm sure John will shuffle his figures around to get the best possible composition possible to convey what is going on.~Gary.
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for your observations Gary and Dani. I have been playing with the arrangement of the figures since I decided to add the third figure. I haven't finalized anything yet. It will likely be somewhat multi-level though. I have since sculpted the anorak on the kneeling figure, it's progressing pretty quickly.