1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st SSF

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Mar 3, 2004.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's some pics of the head that goes with the Johnson LMG.

[IMG][IMG]
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    impressive, (y) very befitting!
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looking good John! What putty did you use?
  4. Pete_H New Member

Looking good, amigo. Definitely has that Claude-Akins "tough hombre" look.
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    John, looks good, but the nose looks a bit small to me though not unrealistic.
    The measurements I use for face proportions are 65mm from underside of chin to the nose and then + 50mm to the eyes
    Definately has that tough look (y)
  6. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I used Magic-Sculp over a Worster head whittled down to a basic skull.

Leigh, I agree about the nose. I think it's too broad as well. I'm debating about how to go about changing it. I think I can build out the bridge and tip and get what I'm after.

I noticed Gordy put up an ear sculpting article. I remember seeing this process on another project of his and used it here. (y)
  7. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Some progress.
    The helmet[IMG]
    A right hand I'm particularly happy with.
    [IMG]
    A basic mannequin from the rear.
    [IMG]
    The same from the front.
    [IMG]

I am planning on fleshing out the mannequin a little bit more. The helmet is riding a little high.
  8. Pete_H New Member

Here's a thought for curing that "riding high helmet syndrome" : why not sculpt the visible part of a wool cap worn under the helmet? This was a popular practice with GI's all over the ETO.

Just a thought ...
  9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Not a bad idea. (y) It seems like the force wore a hooded sweater of sorts as well. I think part of the problem might be the fun-tak.
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John!

Looks great! I like the pose, nice action there. You did real well on the right hand, sculpting fingers seperate like that ain't the easiest thing to do! Looking forward to see this one in the round sometime soon!
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    looking good (y)
  12. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's looking very nice John, excellent work on the hand (y)
  13. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Your figure is shaping up nicely John. Looking forward to see it progress.

-jim cox
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Very nice thus far, that weapon is great. Nice job on the hand. They were always a problem for me, but I'm slowly figuring them out. I really like the pose, I can just picture him going up some rocky terrain.~Gary
  15. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,

Nice work. How did you do the hand/fingers?

Joe
  16. y_wong New Member

Dear John,

Your first post remind me of Marlon Brando in Apocalyse Now. Anyway looking forward to the completed figure.

regards
  17. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. A rocky outcropping is what I have in mind.

Joe the hand was made by forming a basic shape with a wrist on it. I used Magic Sculp, but baked it anyway because I wanted to get to work on it. After it had hardened I marked out the fingers with a knife and began to carve. when the size and proportions were right I seperated the fingers using a small saw and scalpel. Final finishing was done with 400 grit sandpaper. I'm sold on carving these days. This probably more time consuming than using wire armature fingers, but not nearly as frustrating (for me).
  18. fsdesimone Member

I've heard, although I've never used it, that the green twisty floral wire is good for making fingers - easier to manipulate and cut then straight wire, plus the grooves hold the putty better.

But can't argue with the results you've attained!
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great work John............let us know how you build the outcropping.....I know alot of us would be interested.
  20. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Will do Guy. I will probably make it like I did the one for the 3 figure vignette of the same subject. A core of Floral foam covered with epoxy putty.