1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade OP Market Garden 1944

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Berserker, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Berserker Member

United-Kingdom
    DSC04293.JPG DSC04294.JPG DSC04295.JPG DSC04296.JPG DSC04298.JPG 20200816_125954.jpg

Hi all

So this is my 1st attempt at remodeling a 1/9th scale bust. I created a different arm, with the original hand, and a new beret with cap badge. Thanks also to Steve Reedees for the Bren.

I have never attempted this sort of thing before, and if I'm honest with myself I think I need a lot more practice. It was one of those things were I got so hacked off with trying to get it to go the way I wanted (in my head) it kept being put away, until I'd calmed down.

There is lots wrong with it, but I just had to call time on it. It was driving me mad.

ETA I posted some better images.
    Sylvanus, 1969, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Good to see you posting

All credit to you for even attempting this , no doubt you have learnt a lot during the process

Can I suggest you look at the "Articles" tab there's a thread about painting eyes

It's good you realise there are things wrong but sometimes it's best to finish and move on ...learning all the way

Have you reworked the collar and neck scarf as well ?

Nice detail on the cap badge

What was the original bust ...Youngs ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  3. nig-g Active Member

Thats a cracking first attempt! I hope you enjoyed doing this and I look forward to your next project.
    Nigel
    Berserker likes this.
  4. Berserker Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nap

Thanks for the suggestions. I did learn that I've got alot more too learn :) As you noted I did rework the collar, I forgot to mention that. it did start off as a Young's PIAT gunner bust.
    Nap likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Matthew,
    Good to see you posting your conversion, good job on the bust.
    You will never do your best work on your first attempt but you will always improve with each consecutive one. I wouldn't want to show my first try at sculpting as it was really bad to be honest. Keep at it with the putty and you will soon pick up some tips and tricks that will help you improve, it's always nice to convert a figure/bust to make it unique, that's how I started out in sculpting.
    All the best
    Steve
  6. Berserker Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks very much for those words Steve. Without your weapon sculpting I wouldn't of even bothered to convert this piece.
    1969 and Nap like this.
  7. Sylvanus Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I can tell you a lot about this subject. First point is that the Polish beret is a distinctive grey,blue. I attended the funeral of one of the last Polish Veterans, with whom I servered on DUKWs in the Brirish army in 1968! More anon with photos and one Pole's history from 1939 at his age 13, on a farm in West Poland. Died in his sleep in Leicester just under a year ago at 97. Last pictured at Driel Commeration with 2 others , meeting Prince Charles. Latter sent a letter to the family. He wearing his beret. Even Polish Airborne serving Members were there in uniform. Packed Church , Service in Polish . Poured with rain all day included on the crowd at the graveside. One othe Veteran also there. Very moving. Any Airborne Figure can be adapted. His story can wait until I get the photos sorted. Many Poles actually landed by gliders when they arrived. They were blamed by Monty for his failure. What they had wanted to do was drop into WARSAW!
    Nap likes this.
  8. Sylvanus Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Beret is not khaki but a custom "Beret! in grey blue. It reebles the Cap GS woyh a thick cloth banbanaroun, Top element had four seems. Makes me think of a connection with Czapka Polish Lancers (and some infatry versions) became the cap for Lancers everywhere including. French Guard and a German State Lancer regiment in Napoleonic Service.
    I attach the obituary of Henry Kubinski 1925 -2019. I went to the funeral representing 18 Amphibian Squadron RCT (RASC). One of the Arhem Poles was there as well as serving current Polish Airborne WO and SNCOs. Do not mess with them. One was a Woman SNCO. All wouold suit a Rugby forward pak! Smart to boot! Respect!

The cap shown seems bases on Para and SAS versions. Polish badge is more a webite metal/silver dulled to not hinei
    I have some photos of Henry and two others meeting Princh Charles at Arnhem in 2019, weeks befor he died. which I am trying to upload! Henry was the fittest there albeit needing a wheelchair.

Attached Files:

Berserker likes this.
  9. Berserker Member

United-Kingdom

Hi Sylvanus

Thank you for you two posts ref the beret, and for the obituary of Henry. As for the beret saga I did do alot of research myself and I even have a repro beret from the Polish hat maker Sterkowski who used an original beret from the Polish Army Museum: https://sterkowski.com/berets/368-8...lica-beret.html#/19-size-54_cm/220-color-gray

I also used the information in the book by Piotr Witkowski: Operation Market Garden Paratroopers Vol 1 on page 38 it describes how the beret colour was changed from the blue/grey to the brown colour.

These are the ref points I used to paint the beret. I doubt I will change it as I've moved on to other models now. Thank you for the info though.
  10. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work with your first attempt at sculpting.
    I attempted some twenty odd heads before I achieved something that looked suitably human.
    Basically, the only way is practice, and more practice, followed by even more practice.
    As an aside, there's an excellent article on PF by Mark Benette on painting eyes.
    Look forward to seeing your next presentation.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap and Berserker like this.