1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1st Para advance into Arnhem (Henk's version)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henk, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Nice to see the updates , certainly a challenging project and coming along well ......interesting how your good self and "Mr Ruck on Ski" approach the piece

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  2. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Cheers Kev. I wish I had more bench time, I'm really enjoying this set.
    The more I look at the blown up picturs, the more I am leaning towards starting again on the smock. I'll play around with it as it is, because I'm trying something out, but if it doesn't work Pvt. Witherford's coat gets a wash...
    Viking Bob and Nap like this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some progress has been made. I'm enjoying the work on the smock, I'm just freewheeling at the moment, it's getting where I want to go, but I'm very much "off piste" as to how I used to approach the Denison camouflage. I've already worked out how I'll do the next one differently lol. I've also started blocking in the gaiters and the rifle. His shoes will be started over, but more on those later.

The pictures are a bit shiny, suffice to say that they final version will be dull coated appropriately lol.

I don't know if Pvt. Witherford had blue eyes, but here he has.

20220204_011936.jpg 20220204_011923.jpg 20220204_011912.jpg 20220204_011859.jpg 20220204_013200.jpg 20220204_013207.jpg 20220204_013213.jpg 20220204_013220.jpg
    KenBoyle, Martin64 and Nap like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Nice update , coming on nicely , between you and Steve Ski ...camo certainly features

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Henk likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Henk.
    Steve
    Henk likes this.
  6. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys.

I've just realised that I have been mixing things up, I've been painting Pvt. Witherfords head (the sigarette needs to be added later, I think it may be cast on, the stub is between his lips, but on my copy that seems to have broken of in transit), but the kneeling figure is NOT Pvt. Witherford, but the unidentified kneeling soldier to the right of the Pvt. :oops:. I've started Pvt. Witherford too, he will be the next figure to go on the bench... oops.
  7. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whilst paint dries on the Pvt., no time can be lost. Work on the base commenced, with the scratch build water pipe. Made of some simple plastic pipe, painted with Vallejo Saddle Brown, and sprinkled with a variety of Mig weathering powders. The same are used on the base, with Klear as a binding agent.
    I'm letting the waterpipe come out of the diorama, one to give the unidentified para somewhere to put his right foot.

20220204_183707.jpg 20220204_184857.jpg 20220204_192705.jpg
  8. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looking good from here!
  9. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Oooohhhhh Henk ...you don't want to get your privates mixed up ......LOL

Liking the thinking on the base

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Last update this week, of to work again tomorrow..

I've added the major tree branches to the base, next weekend I'll be working on the tree roots. I'm fairly happy with the colouring of the sand, I may add a few more layers to add a bit more variety to it.

20220205_200351.jpg

Oh, go on then... one picture of the nearly finished unidentified para, in position. Arm with rifle and head are still separate, and he's obviously not quite finished, but he's getting there.

20220205_200513.jpg
    Nap, Mike - The Kiwi and Martin64 like this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Its been a while since I've been busy in the laboratorium, having pretty much only painted figures for the last year or two. It's good to get messy again...

20220213_143617.jpg

I've decided to add a few details to Steve's excellent base. The shell hole appears to have been modified by the paras into a larger foxhole/firing position (the handle of a spade can be seen in the photo, just below the Cpl. In any case, the ground around the trees in that area would be covered by leave litter and grass, so I'm adding some of that to the edges. I'm also adding some fine sand to parts of the inside of the hole, leaving the smoother areas that Steve sculpted, where the digging action with the spade would have left those marks.
    Next will be final drybrushing to bring all the colour together, then adding the fine roots last

20220213_143543.jpg
    Martin64 and Nap like this.
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Henk, I had the same thoughts when sculpting the base, from the photo it does look like they adapted the shell hole into a more suitable trench for the period they stopped during their advance. Looks like they used the spade to deepen/widen it and throw the spoil onto the edges of the shell hole to form a parapet.
    Nice progress with it.
    cheers
    Steve
    Henk and kempie like this.
  14. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not much progress this week, but the unidentified Pvt. Is done for now. Still a few things to tidy up, but those will be sorted when the piece is put together and everything is blended together.

Pvt Witherford is next on the bench. 20220214_000018.jpg 20220214_000005.jpg 20220213_235954.jpg
    1969, Martin64 and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Your certainly getting on with the figures and the base has some good modelling on it as well , look forward to the colour on this

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Henk likes this.
  16. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Coming along quite nicely, Henk, fig looks great, base too!
    Nap, Henk and Martin64 like this.
  17. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    20220220_214941.jpg 20220220_215012.jpg 20220220_215109.jpg 20220220_215117.jpg 20220220_215153.jpg 20220220_215200.jpg 20220220_215218.jpg 20220220_214854.jpg
    Thank you Steve and Kev.

A very short weekend this week, and not much happening next week, because I'll be away from the bench. But I've made some progress the last two days, the base is nearly done, and Pvt. Witherford is starting to take shape. I've finished the camo on the Denison, next I'll create the worn and dirty look, and see if it all blends together. If it does, happy days, if not, I'll start again.

20220220_214854.jpg
    1969, Ferris, Martin64 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Base looks good and the figure is coming along nicely .....there certainly is a lot to do in the kit so great value

Look forward to seeing more when you can

Nap
  19. Ferris A Fixture

Nice work on the sand colours. Very realistic variety of tones.

Adrian
  20. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Adrian. It's a painstaking job, stippling and drybrushing over and over, but its worth it.

I start with a base colour, anything sandy will do. I actually started with Vallejo Dark Sand, and started drybrushing with Vallejo Pale Sand, but that was to much like yhe beach. I then made a wash with Vallejo German Camo Brown, and washed the complete base with that, with a few randomly applied coats. I then used the same colour, gradually lightened with Dark Sand and Orange Ochre, applying it in a stippling motion, or drybrushing, with my Army Painter dry brushes. Just keep randomly adding the colours to the mix, to achieve a truly random finish. The added bits of sand, which have a different texture, received multiple washes of the very diluted mixture.

I almost forgotten how much I enjoy doing groundwork.