1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Lt. Army of N. Virginia

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Jim Patrick, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Ok, here is Pegaso's figure, #54-177, 1st. Lt., Army of N. Virginia, C.S.A. 1863-1865.

[IMG]

I recently picked this figure up at Mastercon and every since it was announced, I wanted it. After opening the box, I was once again reminded as to why I like Pegaso figures so much. The sculpting and molding found on this figure didn't laeve me dissapointed. Well, OK, a little but this is more due to my painting skills than any fault of Pegaso's. After opening the box, here is what you get.

[IMG]

The head is not attached permantly. I just placed it there because I wanted you to see a little of the detail when I enlarged the photo. No major seams to be found on this figure but the groundwork base is a tad on the small side. No problems here eithere as most painters either scrap this item or add so much of their own work to it that you couldn't recognize it anyway. Here you can see the figure in greater detail now. I hope the pic is in focus. I didn't check these last two pics.

[IMG]

Here is the part where I was a little dissapointed. The flag has absoutely no detail on it. I realize this is what the majority of the painters out there want but when it comes to painting flags, to put it simply, I suck! Regardless, it is a nice representation of a flag and, also, you can paint the flag in any reg't. you so choose.

[IMG]

Some final thoughts before I leave. To me (read:eek:nly me) this figure rings more of an NCO than it does an officer. Yes, I realize that this could be an officer just as well as any soldier or NCO but, I look at him and I see a veteran NCO. Mine will probably change to include the chevrons. If this were indeed an officer, shouldn't the high boots be here as well? Also, the saber. He's just holding the sheath with no straps what so ever. Would you run across a field with a flag in one hand a sheath in the other? Probably not. There should be some kind of strap there for it. It's not even on the box art. Small, but you should know about this in a review. I will probably drop the sheath altogether when I make mine an NCO. I'll find something to put there.

Enjoy,
    Jim Patrick
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm making the same changes as you. The figure is great but I have to agree it dosen't do it asan officer. Also my copy the canteen looked like it went through the wrong end of some machine. :eek:
  3. JBoisson New Member

Hi Jim
    Yeah, that guy doesn't look officer-specific, don't see any 'chicken guts' (Austrian knots) on his sleeves, you can scrape off any collar rank, and the coat is single-breasted. When I painted Latorre's GA Rifles LT, grey instead of green, I fretted because most of my reference material showed Reb officer coats being double-breasted. Union NCOs were at least issued sabers, (not sure how prevalent they were out in the field) but both armies seemed to operate out the same manuals so a Reb NCO armed with a saber wouldn't be out of place. Straps cut from lead foil, electical tape or paper should work out fine if fiddly to glue in place and paint. As far as the banner--cheat! I think Nimix makes etched brass stars or you can use scale WWII US Armor decals for a Batttleflag or Stars and Bars...or you can put him in the Western theatre and paint it as a Bonnie Blue Flag! Have fun dude.
    Cheers
    John B.

p.s. as little good as it'll be coming from the likes of me, just the same just fired off a Hail Mary for your Bro's luck and health--Godspeed and God bless him