1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Life Guards, Mess Dress, c1896 (Ensign Miniatures)

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by arj, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mirosoft

Thanks for posting the Yeomanry figures ...they look really good .....another set of figures I really like

Keep them all coming folks

Nap
  2. lightbob Member

Glad to see that this thread has legs. Like Andrew I remebered, somewhere in a box there was old Military Modelling magazines. Looked out the one shown above for April 1977 to check it out for further info. regarding the front cover. Sadly ,there is only a short piece on the index contents page that states - A larger than life detail from, "News from SouthAfrica", Major Bob Rowe's charming 54 mm set piece ----- utilising figures from Ensign Miniatures, "Mess Dress Series". So no answer regarding who made up and painted the layout. Could it have been Maj. Bob himself?
    Below are some of my Esign Miniature figures. The first picture is off 3 figures from the 26th of Foot, The Cameronians prior to them becoming a rifle regiment -- the bandsman is 1868, the officer 1864 and the private 1873.
    Second set shows cavalry figures, a trumeter from the 21st lancers, a sergeant from the 16th Lancers, a staff sergeant also of the 21st and a squadron serg major from the Sussex Yeomanry.
    I also some Ensign Scottish figures - 2 Highland Light Infantry Officers in Mess Kit and under construction the vignette of the 2 Napoleonic Highlanders VBN7 -- will try to post pics soon.
    Keep Safe,
    Douglas aka Lightbob DSC04829 (2).JPG Ensign Cav figures.JPG
    KenBoyle, arj and Mirofsoft like this.
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Later reedition by Errol John but as painted figures set

errol.jpg

Yes.... the 2 on the left from a new Dickensian Serie 1982

1982 05  119 ensign.jpg
    arj and Nap like this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Some pictures from the old Gazette des Armes ( Mar. 1977 )

gaz 36 mar  77  034  ENSIGN.jpg gaz 36 mar  77  034 Ensign 2.jpg gaz 36 mar  77  035 ensign 1.jpg gaz 36 mar  77  037 ensign 06.jpg
    KenBoyle, arj, lightbob and 1 other person like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

I can honestly say that despite being a "bust bloke" I would certainly paint these figures ....mess Dress, Yeomanry and several others

Loving seeing the pieces

Great thread everyone

Nap
  6. Partner Member

Canada
    Here are some of my Mess Dress figures.
    The one in white is not of the period. He is a Captain , Royal Army Pay Corps, tropical mess dress.
    My favourite figure as I am a retired Chartered Accountant

You can also see a guest of the mess. Sgt of the London Scottish.

20200923_102309.jpg
    KenBoyle, arj, lightbob and 2 others like this.
  7. Dimonikus Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Very nice paintjob!
    arj and Nap like this.
  8. Partner Member

Canada
    Here are s couple more . Ensign Miniature figures.
    Gordon Highlander and Scots Guard in drill order.
    1600868161432_20200923_094553.jpg
    KenBoyle, arj, lightbob and 2 others like this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Partner

Great to have you posting and lovely to see the figures , all very nicely painted as well

Please do share more if you have them

Happy bench-time

Stay safe

Nap
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  10. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well worth seeing the variety of painted figures from this manufacturer.
    Thanks to Mirofsoft, Partner and Lightbob for the presentations.

Plenty available out there, if you just ask Kevin.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    arj and Mirofsoft like this.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely work Andrew on a super little figure. Would love to see some larger versions of these figures in mess dress or yeomanry dress.

Neal
    arj likes this.
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As I have stated above, I would love to model them for Gordon or Victory but figures in any dress uniform (https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/gsm-mott-corporal-scots-guards-200mm.94275/ and https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/200mm-ensign-for-the-colour-coldstream-guards-2016.115742/) do not sell well, if at all. That could of course be down to the quality (or lack of it) of my work, but this seems true regardless of the sculptor.

Mike
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As stated above, I would love to do some for Gordon or for Victory, but figures in dress uniform (https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/gsm-mott-corporal-scots-guards-200mm.94275/ and https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/200mm-ensign-for-the-colour-coldstream-guards-2016.115742/) tend not to sell well, if at all. This may be due to the quality of my work (or lack of it), but this seems true regardless of the sculptor.

Mike
  15. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful work Andrew! I still have a few Ensign Miniature castings in my GA, but most I painted on commission back in the 70s-80s. As mentioned, simple castings that painted up very nicely.

Well done sir! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    arj and Nap like this.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for your kind comments Neal.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  17. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you for looking and taking the time to comment Ken.

I've just noted that Tradition of London (based in Sweden) have Ensign figures in their listing.
    The following was on their Facebook:-

Tradition - Ensign.jpg

The stock items can be found HERE.
    Pity they don't show the individual photos.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    KenBoyle and Nap like this.