1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st Cavalry Div. from Young

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by RobertC33, May 24, 2017.

1. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Title : [YM1866]US 1st Cavalry Div Vietnam 1970
    Size : 1/10 Scale
    Material : Resin
    Weight : 190g
    Pieces : 15
    Sculpted by Greg Girault & Young B Song
    M203 Grenade Launcher by DEF. Models
    Painted by Kirill Kanaev

YM1866-1.jpg YM1866-2.jpg YM1866-4.jpg YM1866-7.jpg YM1866-8.jpg
    Edorta, Nige, Black Army and 14 others like this.
  2. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent sculpt and paint. I have one question though: He is shown wearing a rip-stop BDU top in woodland camo. Did they have those in 1970/Vietnam?? I wore BDU tops like that in the mid-to-late 90's. I'm no expert and could easily be mistaken, but I didn't think that type of garment dated back that far.

Jason
    Paul Kernan and Drenth like this.
  3. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    Did they have those in 1970/Vietnam?

No Jason, they did not. Beautiful sculpt though. Will get one.

Joel
  4. ukali1066 Member

United-Kingdom
    They did, ERDL camo was the fore runner to the woodland pattern, usually worn by Special forces though and it did have a pattern to the fabric like ripstop, see this preserved example

The United States Marine Corps (USMC) adopted the green "Lowland" version as standard issue in Vietnam from 1968, and later the U.S. Army introduced it on a wide scale in Southeast Asia. A third variation, unofficially known as "Delta" from an alleged use in the Mekong Delta area of South Vietnam, was issued in the early 1970s. It was simply a color variation and not specifically developed for the Delta region. It was common for Marines to wear mixes of ERDL and OG-107 jungle fatigues, which was authorized owing to periodic shortages. Australian and New Zealand SAS were also issued U.S.-issue Tropical combat uniforms in ERDL during their time in Vietnam. By the end of the Vietnam War, American troops wore camouflage combat dress as the norm.[7] "Delta" ERDL is the same as "Highland" pattern, but the black "branches" appear thicker and less detailed. The ERDL-pattern combat uniform was identical in cut to the OG-107 jungle fatigues it was issued alongside.[8]
    Following the withdrawal of the U.S. military from Vietnam in 1973, the Army no longer routinely issued camouflage clothing. However, soldiers in the 1st and 2d Ranger Battalions (1/75 & 2/75 Ranger [Airborne]) received ERDL jungle fatigues of all three varieties as organizational issue, and the 1st Battalion, 13th Infantry Regiment wore the ERDL-leaf pattern as an experiment in the early 1970s in Baumholder, Germany. During this same period the 82d Airborne Division and 36th Airborne Brigade (Texas National Guard) were issued the ERDL jungle fatigues until replaced by BDUs. In 1976, the Marines obtained the leftover Vietnam-era ERDL pattern uniforms which became general issue, replacing the solid OG "sateen" utility/fatigue uniform. As there was never an ERDL pattern Marine-style utility cap, the Marines continued to wear the solid OG utility hat until the adoption of the BDU pattern. It was to be used to equip the United States Rapid Deployment Force (RDF) while on tropical missions. Photographs during the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis showed U.S. Embassy Marines wearing the RDF version ERDL uniforms when they were taken prisoner by Iranian revolutionaries.

Attached Files:

winfield and oldtrousers like this.
  5. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    I thought we were talking about the 1st Cav., which the figure represents. I went on Google and took a look at hundreds of pictures of the 1st Cav. grunts, and did not see a single one wearing camos. Would be curious to see one.
  6. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    I believe the initial point was more about the rip-stop fabric, not ERDL camouflage pattern. Rip-stop uniforms are relatively modern. I've never seen any US rip-stop uniforms from Vietnam era. There may be some but I'm curious to know if anyone has evidence of rip-stop uniforms in US service in Vietnam.

No disrespect to Kirril's painting , which is stunning as always. I'll be getting this bust.
  7. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    Looking at my uniform from Viet
    Nam...1970...it is ripstop. Camos were only issued, in the Army, to Recon, and Special Ops. My battalionr econ platoon wore them and this paint job is pretty close to the color as issued...but they faded fast.
    A small point...recon guys would not be on a mission with red cigarette packs and playing cards on their helmets.
    All that having been said...its a great sculpt and paint job.
    Black Army, 1969, Jeff T and 4 others like this.
  8. Harrybh Member

United-States
    "A small point...recon guys would not be on a mission with red cigarette packs and playing cards on their helmets."

Nor would they look as if they hadn't shaved in two weeks...
    Just saying...
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
  10. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Nice sculpt and excellent paint work. Thank you Mr. Dunne for your comments as a primary source! I would note that this bust's uniform can also be painted to depict him wearing the standard OG-107 Jungle Uniform instead of ERDLs as the basic cut and pocket placement of both uniforms are the same. My only criticism is that the 1st Cav patch seems too small.

Scott
  11. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    I agree...hopefully its not molded on.
    oldtrousers likes this.
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I think, the size of the patch is allright - for there were also those smaller variants...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  13. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stunning painting.
    Re the historical accuracy discussion.
    I'm pretty sure that Sammy Davis Junior wasn't in the Air Cavalry. He was a singer/actor made popular with films starring Dean Martin.
    I really wish people were more accurate.
    Just my two cents
    Grod, Paul Kernan, 1969 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    The picture was taken during an appearance of Sammy Davis Jr. at soldiers of the 1st Cav. in Vietnam.

The shirt with the patch he had received before his performance by members of the unit.

In addition, the two other pictures with the small patch I loaded up show no singers / actors but "real" soldiers in Vietnam!

I really wish there would be more people who think before they mob ...

:wtf:

Cheers
  15. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    "I'm pretty sure that Sammy Davis Junior wasn't in the Air Cavalry."

You're right about that, I think he was with the 83rd Airborne. Next thing you're going to tell us, is that John Wayne wasn't a Green Beret, now really.
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  16. Reptor A Fixture

Japan
    Excellent sculpt and paint. :love: Another masterpiece for Young !!!(y)
  17. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st Airborne
  18. Bournouna Active Member

United-States
    "Jimi Hendrix was in the 101st Airborne"

So was our PF friend Kevin Dunne.
    Joel
  19. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Relax, Martin! (and learn to recognize OBVIOUS sarcasm, as in Gellso's post). I see no evidence of anyone "mob"bing here. Just looks to me like a good discussion of Vietnam era uniforms, and an informative one at that. In fact, the only offensive/provocative language is from you, when you condescendingly expressed your wish that there were more people "who think."

Jason
    Gellso and Paul Kernan like this.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Jason!

"I really wish people were more accurate."

"...and learn to recognize OBVIOUS sarcasm, as in Gellso's post). "

Aha, I understand - this is sarcasm... Thanks for the explanation.

[IMG]