1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1st bat/ Orange Nassau Regiment No.28 Waterloo

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Barry Bradbury, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Barry Bradbury New Member

United-Kingdom
    I want to model an incident during the Battle of Waterloo. The subjects revolve around a 14-year-old drummer boy (called May) of the 1st bat/ Orange Nassau Regiment No.28. and a Nassau Sapper. I know that the uniforms of the Infantry were dark blue with poppy-red facings and white French campaign trousers, but cannot find any information on the drummers or Sappers.

Would be grateful if anyone has any information.

Barry
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hallo Barry,

On that subject i cannot find anything.
    Maybe this will help.]
    The uniforms they wore had been issued to them while Nassau was part of Napoleons empire. Although they were green instead of blue, they were indistinguishable from those of the French at any distance.
    The silhouettes where identical.
    The Prussians mistook the brigade for Frenchmen.
    Maybe you should look somewhere else, because the Netherlands where then the Northern Netherlands, and Belgium where the Southern Netherlands.
    Maybe you can find something there.

Marc
  3. Pete Wenman Member

United-Kingdom
    Barry not really helping here, but a little more info for you.

No 29 is a Private Nassau infantry

[IMG]

The plate is from the Almark book " Regiments at Waterloo - British Army Uniforms", unfortunatly the text makes no mention of uniform details.

At a guess I would suggest the drummers would be based on the French style.

The W&G book "Military Dress of the Peninsular War 1808-1814" also has a colour plate as at 1813. An interesting note in the text

"The yellowish leather equipment was a Nassau tradition",

this appears to cover the cross belts and rifle sling.

HTH

Pete
  4. David H New Member

The Osprey Wellington’s Dutch Allies 1815 and other sources, including Knotel, says the Regiment of Orange Nassau (also known as the 28th and so marked on their shakos) wore blue and the white breeches as you describe, however other Nassau contingents such as the Nassau-Usingen Light Infantry (2nd) wore green uniforms. The uniform regulations and supplies were in flux in 1815, and there may have been quite a mix among the Nassau contingent, certainly one of those areas where “uniformologists” can debate. The use of French equipment such as Shakos, rank insignia, etc. and the transition to a British style single breasted tunic certainly created a lot of confusion.

The Nassau contingent at Waterloo was:

2nd Netherlands Division: 3 battalions 2nd Nassau, 1st and 2nd Battalion Regt. of Orange.
    Nassau Contingent: 3 battalions of the 1st Nassau.

There is a good illustration of a drummer from the 2nd on Plate H along with an infantryman from the 28th . No Sappers, but they are described as having all black leather gear. Dutch Swallow’s Nests in yellow with gold lacing distinguished all the drummers and I would guess their uniform was not much different from the 2nd. There are also two nice plates of Nassau troops, including the 28th, in Les Uniforms des Guerres Napoleoniennes (Coppens, Courcelle, Petard, Lordey). These plates have the same features as the Osprey, including a drummer and various infantrymen. Haythornwaite’s Uniforms of Waterloo has some plates of the 1st and 2nd, but no drummers or sappers of the 28th. The Grenadiers look pretty cool in their busbies, though. Sounds like you have something very interesting planned....hope this helps a little bit.
  5. Barry Bradbury New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you all for replying

Although most Nassau regiments wore green the 28th wore the Netherlands Infantry uniform i.e. short dark blue coat. This is given in both Netherland decrees of 9 January 1815 and 18 July 1815. Also in Dec 1815 the 28th had to exchange uniforms with the green of the 2nd Regiment Nassau with the exchange of units to Prussia.

David

I am interested in the Netherland Army in 1815 and came across the story of drummer boy May. In the skirmish line with ammunition running low , May went over to a Hanovarian brigade, stationed behind, to fill his haversack with ammunition (28th were issued with French muskets, so they couldn’t use the ammunition of neighbouring units), he did this three times, second time he was wounded in the hip and after the third time he was told to pick up his drum and return to the line.

During a counter attack, led by May, he was wounded in the neck and fell unconscious. Lying on the battlefield he survived a charge by a Netherlands dragoon regiment. Found by a sapper he was carried to the Prussians for treatment.

Prince von Sachesen-Weimar promised him the Order of William for his conduct during the battle. As the 28th were disbanded in October nothing became of the promise until 1838 when he received the Order of William 4th Class.

A very interesting story and this has opened a few ideas for me, running for or returning with ammunition, leading the counter attack, being carried by the sapper to the Prussians. I think I am edging to May being carried by a Sapper and being met by a couple of Prussians. Need to get more information on what Prussian units were around the 28th area.

Again thanks to all
  6. David H New Member

Hey Barry, sounds like a great project. These are the types of incidents that give inspiration and make for a great vignette.

A quick look at the order of battle and some maps from Adkin’s The Waterloo Companion (a pretty good reference, BTW) show that of Von Bulow’s IV Corps that came closest to the Nassauers on Wellington’s left flank near Smohain and Frichermont it was probably the Prussian 15th Infantry Brigade under von Losthin; they were the ones that initially inadvertently fired on the Regiment. This consisted of 3 battalions each of the 18th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Landwehr Silesian and 4th Landwehr Silesian regiments. I'm guessing that these units most likely helped May.

Good luck on your project!
  7. ChenLa New Member

Estonia