1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1918 Naval Commodore Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is a conversion of a 200mm Verlinden WW11 Cossack converted into a Naval Commodore (Captain maybe;)) from around the Great war time period, all work was carried out using magi-sculpt & Milliput, I converted this for Kev Peart so over to you Kev to get some paint on him.
    Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

Edorta, Grod, Stephan and 7 others like this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

excellent work
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim
    Cracking job mate Kev will be well pleased with it the fantastic detail , all he needs is a catapult ......;-) lol
    Come on Kev get some paints on this puppy
    Cheers Chris
    napoleonpeart and Jimbo like this.
  4. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wot - no sea legs! :ROFLMAO:
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Guys, thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated
    (y)Jim
  6. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    VERY nice!!

Any chance of some copies for sale?
    Jimbo and captnenglish like this.
  7. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    What he said.
    Jimbo likes this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great stuff!!

All the best,
    Dan
    Jimbo likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Well am I not a clever boy choosing this subject ..great work from my long suffering mate ..I will see this in the flesh tommorow so stand by ...hope he has cleaned and primed it up ;)

Cheers Jimbo

Nap

PS What about posting the picture you worked from (amongst other references this little monkey gave you)
  10. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I want one. Payment in cookies.
    Jimbo and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Great job improving an old Verlinden bust. This looks terrific.

Colin
    Jimbo and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks for your kind comments chaps, all very much appreciated and glad you like him.

I'm afraid this is a one only bust guy's, I can't really claim it for commercial purposes due to copyright as it's a Verlinden conversion, I done this as a "long suffering mate"(you can say that again!) for a couple of kits from Kev's grey army.

Having said all that I may consider sculpting it completely from scratch (rather then a conversion) if there was enough interest out there in this particular subject.

(y)Cheers
    Jim
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice conversion Jim and I'm looking forward to seeing Kev's painted version.
    One small thing the rank insignia on the cuffs are that of a Captain, just a simple title change will fix that. I've attached a plate showing the epaulettes too.

You know what Kev's like over insignia, we don't want him having a tizz. :D

Roger.

WW1NavyBritish-Ranks08.JPG WW1NavyBritish-Ranks09.JPG 1.JPG
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Roger ,

Me have a tizz ...never ..the rank insignia details are correct for a Commodore 1st and 2nd Class and also Captains over 3 years seniority .

The book used amongst others is ;

Rank and Rate by EC Coleman

[IMG]

Page 42 for the main picture on the headwear

Page 34 for cuff distinctions `

Page 60 for the epaulettes details

Time period 1901-1926

Also a great companion Volume (2) : [IMG]Rank and Rate – Volume II – Insignia of Royal Naval Ratings, WRNS, Royal Marines, QARNNS and Auxiliaries
    By E C Coleman
    ISBN 9781847973085
    Published by The Crowood Press (
    www.crowood.com)
    RRP GBP £19.95

Tizz over !!!!!

Thanks for the post

Nap
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I would dispute your sources Kev or maybe it's my eyesight but it looks like four rings on Jim's figure, one with a loop, which is a Captain. The b&W plates I posted are from The Admiralty Manual of Seamanship 1915.

Roger.
  16. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    GREAT looking bust !! Hope to see a simular one for sale sooner rather than later!! Dave
  17. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Guys.
    Roger & Kev, I'm keeping out of the rank markings debate, I just went on what Kev asked for and I don't have a clue what Naval rank markings denote which rank...Strictly Army me ;)

Easy enough to just add a bit of putty to make a thicker cuff band here & there if need be.

(y) Cheers
    Jim
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England

If kev is happy with his sources then I'm happy too. It's just something that caught my eye and to be honest whenever I saw that much gold heading my way I usually engaged astern propulsion and went the other way. :D

Roger.
    napoleonpeart and Jimbo like this.
  19. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    No worries from me Roger, as I said I wouldn't know the difference between an Admiral & a deck-hand apart from the mop in his hand! Ha! Thanks for your input, always appreciated.
    Cheers(y)
    Jim
    billyturnip likes this.
  20. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Jimbo likes this.