1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1914 Austrian Ulan

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Scale 1/16th, Dragon plastic horse, boots, head and hands from kits, the rifle from Steve Readdies excellent weapons sets - Steyr M. 95. and I'm doin' everything else in mixes of Kneadatite and MagicSculpt. Because parts are all grey and parts mixes of green and grey, the photos were hideous in color, so I thought I'd show you them in bxw.

The figure is wearing an Ulanka coat with an Ulanka fur coat half on and drapped over the shoulder and tied closed by a string. No more than 50% complete. Lots of interesting uniform details to do and I think one of the empty sleeves looks a bit wrong. I think I'm going to make him an NCO with many years of active service.

The strange looking thingie above the flat part of the shapka in photo 3 is the gun barrel. Odd angle, I guess.

BW1.jpg BW2.jpg BW3.jpg BW4.jpg 24(5).jpg coat-and-Tschapka.jpg

Comments, critique welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Looks good. Only one question Dan. Are you sure that the length of the legs are ok?
    Ulrich
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Bit difficult to tell from the photos, isn't it? They measure out correctly and in scale. It doesn't help that the fur Ulanka covers up so much of the figure. The third photo shows the leg, trunk, arm pretty decently. Thanks for the comment!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Looks great. I think the toes need to point out a little so as to accentuate the division of the legs at the knees. Pointed in like they are they sort of look like stubbies.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan,

Glad the M.95 is of use to you mate, its an interesting project to undertake, I like the look of the uniform colours for this one, should be fun to paint.
    The legs look OK in image 1&4, image 2&3 make them look too short but this is due to foreshortening from the camera angle in which these were taken. Will follow this one mate.

All the best
    Steve
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Richard - I'll see what I can do about the toes. Steve - "Foreshortening"...that's the word I was trying to think of to describe the legs. Cheers and keep those weapons coming!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    The correct position is to turn your toes in, so that you don't accidentally spur the horse. Try bending the hips foreward and the knees back a little.
    Martin
    That's what we did when I did this for a living:)

Attached Files:

8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks an impressive start Dan.
    Carl.(y)
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Carl - Many thanks and Martin - thanks for the tip-I will try that!
    All the best,
    Dan
  10. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Is it possible for you to carve out all of the soft fleshy area around the seat and inner thigh? That way he would sit down in the saddle rather than on the saddle. Hopfully these snaps will show what I mean.
    Martin.

Attached Files:

11. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    I'm not a rider, but I do have an small idea of what would look good and martins suggestion sounds like it would achieve the right look to me and at the same time it would be the 'correct' riding pose.
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Martin and Richard - I believe I understand what you mean. Before I read your most recent comments, I'd already turned in the boot tips. Both knees will need to be re-done. Thanks for the comments!

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan!

I would suggest You to make the legs new and to consider, besides, these proportions...:

[IMG]

In the right position the foot should be just still to be seen under the horse through...

And as the next the hand - as well as it is - a little bit inwards turn...:

[IMG]

Then it wil look quite different!

Good luck!
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Dan,
    Excellent start. You received fantastic advise. Keep us updated.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  15. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Hello Dan!

Sorry but this M95 is the infantery version, you need a carbine:
    [IMG]

and on my figure:
    [IMG]
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm convinced! The legs are too short and I need to convert the rifle to a carbine. Back to the bench...

Thank you for your critique!!!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just got to reinforce the advantages of posting works in progress here on PF.

Keep at it Dan.

Roger.
  18. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yeah spot on Roger, this is the place to seek advice, learn & improve. This is a superb start Dan, you are on th right track for a great sculpt, just need to tinker with a few bits and you will be there.

Cheers
    Dave
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm already tinkering away Roger and David and everybody else. Added advantage - I've been hankering to try out some new Dremel grinder tools. I've used one of them and it's pretty nifty.

All the best,
    Dan