1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1861 Springfield

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Long, Apr 9, 2006.

1. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Here's a musket I knocked out this weekend. Materials used; brass rod, Aves, lead wire, Duro, & a little plastic. I may redo the trigger if I can't sand it into submission.

[IMG]
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

Looks really nice, 1000 x's better than I could do, but I think the rifles wood, along the barrel, is not even. I don't have the best set of eyes so I may be wrong but it looks really wavey to me.

Joe
  3. Graywolf Active Member

Turkey
    i checked some 1861 springfield photos and i can say you did a great job here. congrats John.
    best regards
    Engin
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    john,

I'm sitting always with my mouth open staring at the screen when is see such a nice gun sculpted. I cannot understand how you guys do that.
    clean and nice work.

marc
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Having done a couple of rifle conversions, I have some clue how difficult this is to pull off! As in, really difficult!! Great job! I agree with Joe I see a couple waves in the wood that a little light sanding or a scrape of a blade should fix. What does it look like from the top down and other side?

I really like one of the good weapons web sites, http:/www.collectiblefirearms.com, because they give you several views of the weapon and I guess I'm getting spoiled. Such a good reference!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, There are a lot of great references out there, both in print and on the net that have great pictures of the 61 Springfield. Weapons for 54's are a bear to make, and I find using a reduced copy of a good drawing or clear photo makes a great template to get the shape of the stock correct and within scale.

The stock appears a little on the thick side and there is very little "wrist" behind the stock.

The stock also rises a little high around the area of the lock. On a Springfield you should be able to see the entire "hump" portion of the hammer or cock.

The lockplate could be stretched out a bit more as it looks a little compact. If you look in the photo it is also raised.

The portion of the stock in front of the lock should have more of a taper, which narrows as you get to the end of the barrel.

Here are some reference pictures. Sorry if this comes off as being nit picky, so please take these observations for what you feel they're worth.~Gary

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sorry, Not sure why my posting shows up twice. Mods please delete. :) ~Gary
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for all your comments folks.

Gary, I heeded your advice and sanded down the wrist and moved the cocking mechanism up. I also found after further inspection that the ramrod wasn't straight. All have been corrected. I'm redoing the trigger, and glue is drying as I type. Pics later maybe.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Take your time and post pics when you're ready. I find the toughest part to do is the channel for ramrod.~Gary
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm amazed that you guys make these things for 54mm! Man, I'd be blind! I have enough trouble with 120mm and I haven't attempted anything so complicated as this 1861 Springfield!

All the best,
    Dan