1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1860 Cavalry Saber

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, May 26, 2006.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys,

I know I havent been posting anything lately and for that I appologize. Life is a bit crazy at the moment to say the least!

Inbetween some 54mm ACW projects I have started a new bust. I will do the figure part as a SBS sometime in the future, hopefully soon.

Here is the Saber the fella will be carrying, its an 1860 model Federal Cavalry Saber.

Here is how I made it (sorry for no pics):

Rolled out a piece of Magic Sculpt, cut it to the rough dimensions of the entire length of the sword. Speed cured it under a 100w light bulb, for some reason the putty gets a bit harder if its speed cured vrs normal room temperatre cured. Once the putty was all set, it was sanded and filed into shape, then with the dremmel tool and the appropriate sized drill bit I hollowed out the blade and made the fuller. Ofcourse I went thru the blade so I had to refill with MS and reshape it with a round file. Once the fuller was in place it was steel wooled like crazy to get a good finish. Still have a few rough spots to be filled and smoothed though.

I accidentally cut the handle part off and had to re do it. What I did was put 2 small pins in then drilled holes in the foil, stuck the pins thru the foil and then added MS for the handle. Once cured the handle was carved and sanded into shape. The finger guard was a bit tricky, I have some pictures but no pics from around the whole thing. The whole metal hand guard is from a single piece of lead foil, once the desired shape was established the holes were cut out and shaped. Once shaped the lead was reinforced with a thin layer of super glue.

Here are the results, always that little fine tuning left to do. The wire on the handle is crappy, but the hand will cover most of it so I think it will look ok once finished.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here it is next to a 54mm figure :)

[IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Anders,

This is some seriously craftmanship. Chapeau.
    And in that scale i must say that you have done an extraordinary job. (if it is the right word sorry for that)
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc
  3. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anders

Thats a cool peice of work, I like it

Dave
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Aye.........thats a knife........(in aussie accent).

Cheers
  5. bucsfan21 Active Member

United-States
    Anders, Looks great! I would love to see it in the hand of Kansas Redleg Officer, (like the character John Voight played in Outlaw Josey Wales). I am only suggesting as I know you probably have a unit, regiment in mind. One bust that has particullary impressed me is the one S&T did of the Louisiana Infantryman holding the Lorenz Rifle on his shoulder. I thought that pose really made the figure more appealing. Look forward to seeing the rest of the bust come about.

Best of Everything, Terry Martin and the Atlanta Gang
  6. Lancer Active Member

Hey Anders
    Great job, love what you have done with it! I'm no expert but something looks off, I think your inner branch is not curved enough. I'll post you a couple photos, the top is a version of the 1840 Heavy Cavalry Sabre used through the war. The bottom one is the 1860 Light Cavalry Sabre, but very few were issued before the end of the war!
    Cheers
    Mark

Attached Files:

7. Lancer Active Member

Here is another view! Ca you believe the stuff that clutters my office!
    Cheers
    Mark

Attached Files:

8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!!

It was a ton of fun to do and Im pretty happy with it so far.

Thanks for the pics! I agree, the guard wasnt shaped quite enough. I changed it and it looks a lot better now.

Thanks again guys, will post more when I get to it.