1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"1821" Georgios Drakos - YS Masterpieces Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Sirrius, May 31, 2010.

1. Sirrius Member

Greece
    d1.jpg
    YS Masterpieces
    Series : "1821"
    Code : HB-001
    Title : Hellenic Revolutionary Freedom Fighter
    Scale : 1/9 (200mm)
    Material : High Quality Resin

YS Masterpieces recently announced a new series, “1821” based on legendary personalities from the Hellenic revolution against the Turks. This series begun with the bust of Georgios Drakos and here is my first review (ever in pF) for this.

This superb bust was created based on a long historical research by Costas Rodopoulos, inspired by historical portraits of Hellenic freedom fighters. The realization of this was made through a magical modelling combination: Card Reid (sculptor) and Danilo Cartacci (box art).

The bust represents the legendary Georgios Drakos (1788 – 1827), who fought against the Turks in charge of the Souliotes (from Suli area at Ipiros of Greece) in many battles. Here is an original portrait of him:

drakos.JPG

d00.jpg dr1.jpg

The kit is coming in a black cardboard box, all the pieces carefully sealed inside a plastic bag. It is also equipped with an illustrated color guide together with a short historical note and a biography for the represented character.

d0000.jpg

Don’t forget that this piece of art is coming in limited edition of 350 pieces and there is a Certificate of Authentic Copy (CAC) signed from Mr. Sagiadinos (YS Masterpieces owner) to certify this!

The kit is consisting from nine pieces, including the base:

First, the torso together with the head:

d34.jpg d21.jpg d31.jpg
    d24.jpg d25.jpg d33.jpg

I took several photos, to show you the high quality and the level of detail of the casted resin:

25.jpg d26.jpg
    d27.jpg d29.jpg

You can clearly see how Card Reid has sculpted magnificent the face of Drakos if you compare it with the original image of him!

<continue in next posting>
    Centaur, red tom and pmfs like this.
  2. Sirrius Member

Greece
    continue from previous post

The torso is decorated with the traditional waist belt (1 piece, “selachi” in Greek). Here is the close up photo:

d14.jpg

Next are the hands:

The left hand (2 pieces) which hold the sword:

d18.jpg d19.jpg
    d10.jpg d13.jpg

The right hand (1 piece):

d15.jpg d16.jpg

The detail in gunshots (2 pieces, “pistoles” in Greek) and traditional carbine (1 piece, “kariofili” in Greek) is simply amazing:

d8.jpg d9.jpg

Finally, the base is fitting directly into the bust:

d36.jpg d38.jpg

And here is the bust completed:

d6.jpg d3.jpg
    d2.jpg d4.jpg

<continue in next posting>
  3. Sirrius Member

Greece
    continue from previous post

Here how this bust can be alive and transformed into a beautiful piece of art, painted by a master, Danilo Cartacci:

r6.jpg r7.jpg
    r3.jpg r4.jpg

A superb bust with high quality resin requires minimal cleaning of mould lines. I think is a must have for every modeller who loves Hellenic history. It is highly recommended as a unique subject from a historical period, not so often appeared in the modelling society.

You can order it from YS Masterpieces Website:

http://www.ysmasterpieces.com/product_hellenic_revolution_1821.htm

Thank you for reading....
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    WOW...thats some brilliant review Nick. You have captured all aspects of this bust , and i hope all friends will apreciate your effort !

Costas
  5. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I bought this bust in Darlington, and let me just echo what has been said here; this is an outstanding piece of art work! If you're into busts, do yourselves a favour and buy this one. You don't have to be Greek to appreciate it, but maybe that would help;)
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I also have this bust on my shelff. And it is a great sculpt and very crispy casting.

Marc
  7. Paul20100 A Fixture

France
    One of the most beautiful busts of this year, although I do not like half body ones.
  8. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Guys get painting this one as in Euromiitaire , we will add to the range "1821"another superb piece ..and it willl be a genuine surprise ..believe me !

Costas
  9. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Stunning looking bust and one i would paint for sure, lovely sculpting and great subject.

Steve(y)
  10. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    I had the chance to paint the bust and I have to say that was a real pleasure for me. The bust is a "rich" one, its sculpture realistic and its subject unique. Recomended for sure !
  11. Sirrius Member

Greece
    Thank you guys for your feedback...
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic review Nick. I, for one, do appreciate what effort you put in to the review and it is outstanding. You show every aspect of the kit. Many thanks for your time and efforts. I hope to see many more reviews from you in the years ahead.
  13. Graywolf Active Member

Turkey
    Very nice bust in great details and very good review.Thanks Nick.
  14. Sirrius Member

Greece
    Guy, thank you for your kind words! Your reviews were a valuable guide to me.....

Engin, thanks a lot my friend!!!
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work Nick, thanks for the insight.
    Carl.
  16. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Nick
    Superb review. The collaboration of the of these three masters have created a model that will be very hard to pass or even match.
    Pete
  17. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    ".....have created a model that will be very hard to pass or even match."

We will just have to wait till September to see........he he he
  18. Sirrius Member

Greece
    Carl and Peter, thanks for your reply.

".....have created a model that will be very hard to pass or even match." ---> I think that the best are coming!
  19. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    beautiful
    Tom
  20. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the great review Nick! It's much appreciated my friend!

Carl