1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1812 Russian Unicorn Cannon Kit Review

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by yeo_64, Jun 30, 2008.

1. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi guys !
    This is a resin rendition of the 1809-1812 Unicorn cannon used by the Russians during the Napoleonic Wars. The creator of this fine kit is none other than Sergey Kulakov (desksv@rambler.ru), a fine modeler in his own right. The master model of this particular work of art was first showcased on the "planet" by Zablov S. earlier this year. The moment I laid my eyes on it, I immediately knew I had to have one :eek: ! Well, after exchanging numerous e-mails with Sergey about payment and delivery of the kit (since this is the first time that he has sent anything to Singapore !), the kit finally arrived for me to get my "grubby paws" on :D !!!

The kit comes packed in a secure cardboard box with a scanned image of the completed cannon on the box top.

On opening the box, we find that the major parts of the cannon (barrel, wheels, gun carriage) are packed in a large plastic bag and the smaller items (cannon balls, wooden bucket, metal clamps for the wheels and gun barrel) in a separate zip-lock bag. The only instructions provided is a scanned schematic of the cannon in various views.

The resin used is a sand-colored and of excellent quality. Now here's the amazing bit about the kit- try as I might, I couldn't find any mold lines,air-bubbles or flash on any of the parts ! On top of which, in-spite of the long journey from Russia to Singapore, the only bits broken-off were a single hook on the gun carriage and the eye-ring for attaching the wooden bucket; all easily fixed with a little cyanoacrylate glue. There is molded detail all around the gun carriage and the cannon barrel even has tiny casting marks molded on ! Now that's what I call an excellent piece of casting work ;) !

The next pictures show the cannon put together temporarily without any glue involved. As can be noted, the fit is excellent to say the least. The only item that the modeler need fabricate on his own is the "rope" that suspends the wooden bucket to the front end of the gun carriage (easily made with some thin wire). In fact, it is a real feat of molding technology to note that the bucket handle is completely made of resin and molded on to the bucket. Note that this fragile item DID NOT BREAK while in transit to me :eek: !

All in all, I must say that this is an EXCELLENT first piece of work from Sergey and HIGHLY COMMENDABLE indeed. Any one interested in owning this beautiful model kit can contact Sergey directly via his e-mail above for a price quote and delivery costs. Now, where did I put my references for the uniforms of the Russian artillery crewmen :confused: ?

Attached Files:

OldTaff likes this.
  2. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    woooow looks real cool !
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely some amazing sultping and casting.

Marc
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice looking kit and nice review.
    Thanks
    John
  5. Mark S Guest

Thanks for the review, Kenneth.
    Great looking kit.
  6. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    OK I can take a hint

Hi Kenneth,

Great review and you lucky thing you, getting to build this kit. I wonder where your references are too?....:)

Rgds Vic
  7. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    You haven't said what scale this comes in , lets hope its 54mm as there's a need for a good range of cannons in this scale . Mabye some one could produce a range from the medieval up to the American Civil , as there's an abundance of 2nd W.W and modern stuff but not much out there for earlier periods .

chippy
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Scale of Unicorn

Hi Chippy !
    Good news ! The Unicorn is in 54mm ! Cheers !
    Kenneth :).
  9. je_touche Member

Germany
    What does that mean scalewise? Because I learnt '54 mm' may be anything between 1/28 down to 1/35. If it's 1/32 it would be fine for me.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for the review Kenneth,

Looks like an amazing kit.

Cheers
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the review Kenneth!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi je_touche !
    It's 1/32 scale. Hope that helps you make up your mind on the usefulness of the kit. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi Tony !
    Thanks, mate ! I'm glad you liked it. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Dan, my friend !
    Thanks for the favourable comments, it really is an amazing kit ! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  15. marc New Member

United-Kingdom
    That is a VERY nice piece indeed!
    Lots of work in those fine wheels:eek:

I am a bit of an ancient artillery fan myself, having a soft spot for really early stuff.
    Especially love the Elizabethan 'coffee pot' breach loaders and stubby mortars etc.

I also have real passion for wheelock's :D:D

I might consider producing the odd ancient artillery piece odd 54mm scale if there were sufficient interest too.

Anyhow I don't want to highjack yeo_64's thread about Sergey's excellent piece, so if anyone has an interest in these early pieces I would be glad to start another thread about the subject....

Mark
  16. desSergey Member

Russian-Federation
  17. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with Kenneth. It is an excellent model.
  18. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Beautiful casting, and a great review.