1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

17th Century Dog Lock Musket

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Figure Mad, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Here is another part to the major ECW conversion that I am doing at the moment. This is a Dog Lock Musket. I decided to use plasticard on the majority of this little piece as I find for this item this is perfect for smooth construction in the shortest time, this is the first part of its construction, so your comments would be very welcome.

After taking a basically correct for the period image of a musket from the side, it was scaled to the correct length to give me a 44mm length barrel and barrel external size of 1.5mm , which makes this the correct size for the figure which as we know is supposed to be 90mm, but is in fact around 105mm.

I started by printing a line drawing of the outline of the complete stock although I slightly simplified the shape. After cleaning the edges and rectifying the curves, I started work on the barrel its self as the barrel is half hidden within the stock, So a flat had to be scraped on to a piece of 1.5mm round plastic rod this was done with a scalpel carefully to make sure the rod did not turn making the flat seating edge uneven, once the correct depth had been reached, it was cut on the full round part of the rod just longer than the length of barrel that sticks out past the end of the body. This was then cleaned up on the end and drilled with a 0.9mm drill, then the flat part was cut to length.

[IMG]

The full stock is now glued to 0.5mm thick plasticard, this was glued in a position so as to give an edge to the down the full length of the stock giving a gully for the barrel to fit into, this also gives the correct thickness of stock, the basic curves and corners were smoothed out and left to fully dry.

[IMG]

This gave e time to cut out and create the hammer back plate and the ram rod for the musket, again the 0.5mm thick plasticard was used for the back plate cut to basic shape and then glued in place. The ram rod was next on the list, this started off by drilling a 0.9mm thick piece of round plastic rod with a 0.5mm hole drilled in the end then the drilled end is slightly tapered with some wet and dry paper, a bit of 0.5mm rod was then glued into the hole and it was the trimmed just after the taper on the 0.9mm bit and 10mm along the 0.5mm bit. The dry stock was then drilled with a 0.5mm in the recess under the barrel area, to allow the ram rod to be glued in place.....

[IMG]
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice SBS, Dave! You've given me some ideas on construction techniques I want to try.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Dave,

Excellent s-b-s.

I appreciate it all the more that I started the same dog lock musket a while ago for a (for now) aborted project.

The difference is that I used wood (from a lollypop stick) instead of plasticard – and brass instead of plastic tubing but basically the approach is much the same.

Looking forward to the next step

Cheers,
    Quang
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the SBS Dave.
  5. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks alot guys, its very much appreciated, I have a bit more to come on this little piece yet though, maybe a little later today.....

Dave
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

Looking good so far Dave, thanks for the SBS. Can't wait to see the finished article.

Einion
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Here is the second part of the Dog lock musket, its better to show you the parts as they are finished rather than show you the parts in the making as they are so small. But all have been cut from 0.5mm and 0.25mm Plasticard and 0.5 round rod. The list of parts are as follows the strike plate, the hammer, the dog lock lever, the hanging hook, the spring and spring retainer. These are shown below.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Before I started any of these little parts the powder cup had to be made and fitted to the main stock of the musket, this is a piece of 0.9mm rod drilled down the centre, then sliced down its length, giving two half tube sections one of these was used with a small piece of 0.25 plasticard glued to an open end. then a 0.9mm hole was drilled in the main stock in the appropriate place.

[IMG]

Again your comments are welcome.....
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great built and a very helpful sbs,thanks!
    christos
  9. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys for the comments, very much appreciated

Dave
  10. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Here is the last installment, this shows the trigger and trigger guard, just made from plasticard again.

This now finished ready to take paint, I will now move onto the two wheel lock pistols that are mounted just infront of the saddle.

I hope this helps anybody who wishes to try this method

Dave

[IMG]
  11. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    incredible !!
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, Excellent thread on the doglock musket. An SBS can be quite a lot of work and your's should help those wanting to build a weapon for themselves.~Gary
  13. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to everybody that has posted, this build up is part of one the most complex figures thatn I have ever taken on, I just hope I am up for the challenge to completing it on the same level as this musket. I will be photographing all parts of the build up of this so there may be some more SBS’s coming out of this figure as of yet..

Dave
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Dave.
    I will hope that musket's like this one will be commercial very soon.

Marc
  15. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

Thanks for the comment my friend

Unfortunately or fortunately, who knows, this is for a one off mounted figure that I am working on....

Dave
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I thought so. Would it be finished at Euro???

Marc
  17. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Oh Yes mate, thats the aim to get it done by then, lots of work to go yet though

Dave
  18. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    Very nice musket. I can not wait to see the figure that goes with it.

Best
    Jeff