1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

15th century clothing,arms and armour

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Oda, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Oda A Fixture

I have acquired recently a fantastic book I would like the community to know about.It is publushed by the Dutch publishing house Karawansaray (they also publish some fantastic magazines like Medieval Warfare,Ancient Warfare with great articles and specially commisioned artwork for each issue).The title of the book is Edelman/Bedelman (something like richman/poorman in Dutch) and it is bilingual (Dutch/English) thus accessible to most member of PF.It comes in large format with jacketed hardcovers and high quality,thick paper.The thing that makes it valuable to us modellers is of course the content.Hundreds (more than 250) of coloured photographs portraying people wearing late 15th century clothes,arms and armour.The photographer has planned his portraits very carefully and all the individuals wear highly accurate replicated items.Even better all the pictures have been shot against a grey/white background thus creating minimum distortion of colours so all pictures can be used as guides on shading and highlighting various colours that were popular in the 15th century.A great variety of fabrics have been used and the models have posed in a variety of positions so the book is an excellent help for sculptors as it is showing how clothes drape over the human figure and where folds and creases are created in real life.Most of all this book is valuable because the photographer did not contain himself to the usual cliche of knights and princes.As the title implies people from all walks of life are portrayed:men,women,young and old,poor and rich people,burgers and feudal aristocracy,children,beggars,diseased and healthy people,laymen,clergy monks,people on foot and mounted,literally all aspects and classes of a Flemish society in the second half of the 15th century.And now something shocking....this absolutely luxurious and highly informative publication is on sale for just 25 euros (I am guessing until stock runs out although the publishers do not state so).An absolute bargain!!!!!!
    https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/ edelman(1).jpg
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have the Roman version of this book and it is superb, best reference book I own and would highly recommend them.

Steve
    Helm likes this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    I think I might just have this :sneaky: Thanks for the heads up Steve
    Steve
    1969 likes this.
  4. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :( Looks like I was too late - still the Roman book looks like a good un too . . .
    1969 likes this.
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Shouldn't be I just ordered it. Just paste Edelman/Bedelman into the site search field
    1969 likes this.
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  7. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Guys - looks like I was having a senior moment; I couldn't see it on the first link, but no probs with the other one Steve. Cheers (y) Added it to my basket and good to go

Got to keep the posties busy :p
    Paul
    Oda, napoleonpeart and 1969 like this.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Got one in my basket as well ready for Sunday purchase :)
    napoleonpeart and Oda like this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Mine came today it's huge and very very nice!
    Steve
    1969, napoleonpeart and Oda like this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Oda.
    Helm likes this.