1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

146th New York Volunteer Infantry ("Gerrard's Tigers")

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by garyjd, Nov 17, 2009.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    [IMG]
    The 146th went of to war in 1862 commanded by Colonel Kenner Gerrard, a West Point Graduate. The regiment was assigned to General Sykes' Division of the Army of the Potomac, a division composed mainly of U.S. Regulars. The 146th was attached to the only brigade of volunteers in Sykes' Division, joining the 5th NY(Duryée's Zouaves)and 140th NY(Rochester Racehorses) volunteers. When the two year term of service ended for the 5th NY, more than 300 three-year recruits were transferred to the 146th.In June of 1863 the 146th received the Zouave uniform that would replace the New York State uniform they had been wearing up to that time. It is this uniform that the regiment would be wearing during the battle of Gettysburg.The remain regiments of the brigade would not receive their Zouave uniforms until January of 1864.

When I was knocking around ideas for my donation for the Artist Preservation Group's Gettysburg show in August I settled on painting a Zouave. After seeing studies painted on a artist's wooden palette by Alphonse De Neuville and Keith Rocco, I decided to use the same for my painting surface. The palette measures 13" X 9 1/2".[IMG]

More...
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gary,
    Certainly a different palette:D Very nice idea and display.
    Cheers,
    John
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Thank you very much. ~Gary
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great artistic work Gary.
    Really like this one. Beside the original palette the Zouave is awesome painted.

marc
  5. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Wow !!! I do really love this.
    Very nice paint.

Congrats :)

JP
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gary, an excellent painting for a very worthy cause. Congratulations.

Cheers Ken