1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

13th C. Knight Done

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kyle, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Kyle Member

United-States
    He's done - just have to finish my castle and set him into the cobble stones on the approach to the gate house and portculis...

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And last but not least, his abode. Though Eltham, the second son of Edward II, lived at Cornwall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Eltha...arl_of_Cornwall - the castle is modeled after one that captured my imagination, on the Isle of Wight, called Carisbrooke Castle - http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/castles/...ke%20castle.htm.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Inner bailey door inspired by Pete Armstrong....

[IMG]

Can't even remember it at this stage....(mind's a blur)

Cheers,
    Kyle
  2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    That's a pretty good end result Kyle. The only thing I'd do to this is to darken the mailcoat with a wash of black oil paint (about 20% paint to 80% thinner), and give the other metal parts a coat of Tamiya 'Smoke' Tint - but that's just my opinion. The castle background really adds to the figure.
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    It turned out pretty good, you picked dificult figures to paint.
    I would probably add some shading to the lions to make them stand out a little more and to create some depth.

Cheers
    Roc.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Did you scratch build the castle?

Roc
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Kyle,

This is not an easy figure to starting painting figures. But you come to a great end.
    The castle, can you tell us how you did it. It looks that some people here are very interested in the finally result. So if you don't mind, do a SBS off the castle.

Marc
  6. Kyle Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive/constructive input. I will definitely add the elements regarding the mailshirt and armor. I worked really hard on the face and eyes (did them three times), and they're the best I've done, though I know I have a lonnnnggg way to go. :)

I look forward to the process - I am enjoying that aspect of just learning and seeing baby steps forward. I was frustrated that I did not have a great fit when I secured the head (some gaps there), but I was just too terrified to use putty to fill the gaps and of repainting, in fear of messing up the paint job that took me so long. (I test fitted the pieces before priming, but somehow missed the gap between the shoulder mail and the surcoat.)

Yes, I scratch-built the castle. I will add an SBS shortly here....

Cheers! :)

Kyle
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kyle, nice job, not an easy figure to paint. What a way to show a figure off by building the front of a castle, WOW!~Gary
  8. Amir S. New Member

Kyle,
    The figure looks real nice, and the castle adds a great touch to the photos!

Keep it up :)
  9. Kyle Member

United-States
    (The thank you was from me above, Amir. Forget to log in....)
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Kyle. Love the Castle too.
  11. Kyle Member

United-States
    Thanks Lizzie and Guy,

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on him, but enjoyed it. When you paint a face three times, and you see it get slightly better each time, the 20 hours are worth it! Along way to go, but enjoying the process!

Kyle