1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

13cen light blue coat

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by YellowBear, Apr 16, 2012.

1. YellowBear Active Member

hi friends

i am planing to do next project on crusade knight. and as i am quite bad at white/black - and don't want to ruin this figure. i am thinking about doing light blue coat as i seen some here

however, i am curious about who are they?
    sorry that i should have check and do research instead
    but i just would like to start somewhere first

thanks in advance for all idea/ and comments
    Ben
  2. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Are you thinking of the knights from the movie Kingdom of Heaven?
    [IMG]

In the movie I think they were called Knights of Jerusalem, though that name seems to be also linked to the Knights Templar or Knights Hospitaller. The blue is nice, but I think their clothing was an invention of the movie as opposed to something historical. I'm not the biggest expert on the crusades so I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

With that being said, not all crusading knights were members of a specific order. Many were regular knights that would wear their regular armor, etc and go on crusade. So, if you're going for historical accuracy you probably can't paint a blue Templar or Hospitaller or Teutonic knight... but I don't see why you couldn't paint a knight in blue and just have him be Sir So-and-So off on crusade. Or paint him intentially as a knight from Kingdom of Heaven. If you like how it looks, what's wrong with painting him as a figure from a movie?
  3. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I wanted to add that around the mid to late 1200's the knights of the Knights Hospitaller changed from wearing black to wearing red with a white cross. You could paint a red Hospitaller at the seige and fall of Acre (1291) and be historically accurate. It's not blue but if you wanted to paint one of the orders and wanted to avoid all black or white, that's an option. Of course red can be tricky to highlight...