1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

13 Russians in a Krupp Protze

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by 1969, Sep 22, 2008.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a project i had running alongside some others,the idea was to see how many figures i could sculpt to fit into and onto the 1/35 Tamiya Krupp Protze.I stopped at 13 to save my sanity although it was joy to do.
    Heads are Hornet and weapons are Tamiya.

All comments and critique welcome.

Steve

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work Steve,
    But i would like to see that you pushed the colors more into the shading. It seems all the same. It looks to me that you have only base, and shade. So more highlighting will push the darker colors, and more shading will do the highlightes justice. With other words the contrast gets higher.
    For the vehicle, i find the wheels to clean. Some washes with a dark color into the thinny lines off the vehicle will bring all the panels to stand out.
    Well, i think i give you some homework.
    But it is only an advice, not to be the teacher.

Marc
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Steve,

Very nice work mate. I like the fact that you've lowered the suspension on the truck to account for all those heavy Russians in the back.

The amount of detail you've managed to get into those uniforms is excellent. Well done.
  4. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    very well executed idea !
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys,

Marc.. it seems the camera has washed a lot of the highlighting out of the pictures,saying this i think they may benefit with some more added.i like the idea about the body panels and will give this a try.
    The wheels wont be recieving final weathering till the basework colours are decided so as to tie them together.

Steve
  6. Vic New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate,

Great work right through every stage so far, love the truck.
    I can see the flash or lighting has hidden some of the paint detail but it also depends on your school of thought.
    A lot of people like high contrast painting of figures these days, may be creeping in from warhammer etc but I prefer more subtle shades as my figs show.

Catch you later Steve

Vic
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Vic hi mate thanks for dropping in to give your comment.

i took the pics in too strong a sunlight(rare thing nowdays)so it has washed some of the highlighting out although like you i dont like highlighting overdone.I will take some more pics on an overcast day and see if they look any better.

Steve
  8. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Great idea and execution Steve.

John
  9. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    13 figures would drive me nuts! well done on this one mate, some interesting details as mentioned not to metion the scale, doubt i could paint them . must have taken a good few weeks of work.
    as for colour, i know nothing of WW colours but like what i see.

regards Steve --- Tim :)
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John..thankyou

Tim..1/35 is not my usual scale but i like to try them all although i dont think i would go any smaller.I much prefer the larger scales to work with and so do my eyes LOL.

Steve
  11. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    Currently looking for a suitable miniature scale myself.

EHHH!? who said that?!!
    i cant believe i used to paint and wet blend 30MM figs so i hear ya ( even if i cant see ya!) :p

regards ------ tim :)
  12. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Steve,

you've created a great vignette:cool: and I would love to see it completed with a base.
    I like the guy sitting in the middle, the way he's holding the machinegun and how he's trying too look over the the next guys legs.
    If you're in for one figure extra why not make one hiking (the world famous thumb in the air);)

greetings Willem
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments Willem,i am working on the basework now but sadly it doesnt allow for room for another figure although i like your idea.
  14. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Don't get me wrong but the faces look a little bit 1-tone. That maybe because of the quality of the pictures but ohwell. I think that may be mainly because of the quality of the photo (losing quality sucks).

I like the rest of it. They are all very unique and have cauptured a moment. Good sculpting and overall great painting :D

Daniel
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Daniel i think you are quite right regarding the monotone skin tones,some is due to camera but it would be a cop out for me to blame the camera totally.
    I decided as i had so many figures to do i did all the faces in one session on a production line basis,hense having all the same skin tone,i think in hinesight this was a mistake and i would not do this method again.

Thanks

Steve
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Removed...
  17. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    update?

so is the piece all wrapped up now Sniper?

all the best --- tim :)
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tim i have been working on the groundwork and have just to add some resin water to the scene then it will be finished,as for the figures yes they are classed as finished now.

Many thanks

Steve