1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Trumpeter Imperial Guard Chasseurs - Maurice Corry

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Grod, May 3, 2018.

1. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Folks

I've just received these photos of this 120mm scale resin kit depicting a trumpeter of Napoleons Imperial Guard Chasseurs a Cheval. Sculpted for Mitches Military Models by Maurice Corry this 120mm kit will be available soon. Anyone wishing to pre order please contact me on gordonmi@hotmail.com
    Ross will be releasing this on his website soon at www.mitchesmilitarymodels.co.uk
    Price is £35.00 which includes FREE worldwide shipping

Cheers
    Gordon

Attached Files:

2. misfit151 A Fixture

Just when I thought the brushes could recover a bit..you and Moz do this......another cracking release looks great.....all the best Gordon..(y)..Mike
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Superbe figure.

Marc
  4. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another fantastic release, looking forward to mine dropping on the door step, cant have to many napolionics

Cheers
    Tommi
    Nap and Huw63 like this.
  5. JonH Active Member

Yes please.
    Jon.
  6. Huw63 A Fixture

A marvellous release. Well done Moz and Gordon.

Cheers

Huw
  7. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Perfectly splendid. I hate to point out that the tube of the trumpet should go around twice, not once. As it is, it would be a very short instrument, and impossible to play much on.
  8. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  9. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive.

Mike
  10. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    To expand a little , here's a French trumpet of their usual style: this one is actually a bit later, but this model seems to have been in use by the Napoleonic Wars..

[IMG]
    JonH likes this.
  11. moz A Fixture

England
    Certainly your loathing for pointing out mistakes as you perceive them is becoming more tolerable. Here is an illustration from an artist, I think he has done a few napoleonic trumpeters but i cant be arsed to wade thru them all and get into some spat about whether its got one turn, two or ten.. there are plenty of trumpets out there with one turn and i would prefer to say many types exist and existed in the past
    9044700 (1).jpg 616793087974a7ebc4822adc7f6bcb8f.jpg 616793087974a7ebc4822adc7f6bcb8f.jpg

Attached Files:

12. moz A Fixture

England
    The bugle is illustrated to show that an instrument with one turn and therefore short is more than capable of playing a note,, the last post springs to mind
    CGS military figures and Huw63 like this.
  13. JonH Active Member

He'd go very well with the Chasseur a Cheval from CGS (that's one of yours too Moz isn't it?) Perhaps behind him and a couple of steps down.
    Jon.
    CGS military figures and Huw63 like this.
  14. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Dear Moz, sorry if I cause any bother,truly , and I really don't want to get into a spat. I'm trying to supply otherwise obscure information.
    But I regret to say trumpets and bugles are one of those things rarely understood by artists, except perhaps by folks who play them.
    The longer the instrument, the more notes. Trumpet calls require more notes, and can't be played on one loop instruments : they are simply not long enough to get the higher notes.

Roughly, bugles are shorter than trumpets have a conical bore, ,and play simpler calls, and are used by Infantry.The early ones are the large half moon type,then they made them in one loop , then two, and the re-enactor chap above is playing a once-wound French bugle, a clairon.
    Trumpets are longer , more cylindrical , and twice round except for State instruments like Life Guards silver ones in one long loop, and play a bigger range of notes, and are used by the cavalry.The cavalry were using them centuries before the Light Infantry got in on the act in about 1780 .

There are , as with most things, a lot more complications to their use : the perverse US military call cavalry trumpets bugles.
    And in British service cavalry trumpeters carried both bugles and trumpets by the early 19c., using bugles for mounted calls( easier to play on a horse) and trumpets for dismounted calls ( more splendid and traditional ).
    Many artists, including some French ones as in the lancer above , get these things wrong, but you can be certain because of the laws of physics, that French cavalry trumpeters used the longer instrument twice-wound instrument, as still used by the Garde Republicaine :~

The fanfares they play date back in some cases to the 18c, only playable on that style of instrument.
    Now I shall go back to my burrow...
    Ferris, OldTaff and Nap like this.

15. As a former Royal Marine Drummer and Bugler, I can assure that our Eb Herald Trumpet, an instrument I had to qualify on and used for fanfares, only had one turn, please see image. The earlier baroque trumpet which we also used for practise is the same, we were issued a full book on baroque trumpet pieces.
    Our bugles pitched in Bb did have 2 turns.

The image on the video of Repulicaine Garde posted also shows only one turn.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Huw63 likes this.
  16. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    Sorry , I have been away , hence the delay in replying.

Dear CGS, you are entirely correct that the "long model" Eb trumpet you show has only one turn.I am also a baroque trumpet player, and fully understand their construction .You may also have handled the British Eb Duty trumpet, a " short model "which has two turns, just like your bugle.
    But the French cavalry changed over to the"short model "some time just after 1800, along with the trumpeters of most European nations,and that has two turns.
    And I'm afraid that you are incorrect about the trumpets of the Garde Republicaine in the video I posted above. Look again when the conductor hold up his trumpet : it's a two turn short model , very similar to the instrument in the colour photo I posted above.
    One needs to distinguish between the old "Long model" , with one turn,and the newer service instruments which are "Short model" , being twice wound.
    The changeover to " short model" twice-wound instruments seems to have taken place in some countries before 1800, and in France , on the best evidence I have yet found , some time before 1806 or so.

Here are some contemporary French prints, by Martinet who is generally regarded as being pretty accurate.
    First, a Dragoon trumpeter with a long model instrument:~

[IMG]

Here is another by Martinet,of a trumpeter from the Chasseurs a cheval of the Guard, the Regiment that we were originally discussing here, showing the "short model" definitely shown with two turns :~

[IMG]

And here is a very clear drawing , from the Bardin Regulations of 1812 ( which redesigned the uniforms and kit of Napoleon's Army) clearly showing the specified style of cavalry trumpet to be regarded as regulation, which is the "short Model with two turns:~

[IMG]

My purpose in banging on about this is not to score points ( none are awarded) but to make figure designers aware that musical instruments are a little more complex than they might at first appear.
    If anyone has anymore detailed information , especially clear contemporary pictures, I would be delighted to hear from them. It's an area that has scarcely been researched yet. I still don't know when the British adopted the Short Model, or when they started to carry bugles as well .
    Huw63 likes this.
  17. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great figure.

Also, some interesting stuff on trumpets....errrrr...anyone fancy nipping out for a pint?
    Huw63 and Grod like this.
  18. Thanks Tony, with your most recent information, I dont get your original post to which we are replying.
    Initially it was about not having the correct number or turns, but you have since posted a image of a Dragoon Trumpeter with the 'long model' one turn and as you say from a correct painter. So can we agree that although the models changed during the 1800s a one turn-long model can indeed be correct, as is sculpted.
    You also stated that notes cannot be pitched on a single turn trumpet, yet with both now agree the Eb and baroque and long model you show can pitch the notes.
    I too am not trying to prove a point but the whole conversation was about the chasseur long model trumpet sculpted, which we now seem to agree is and could be correct prior to the adoption of the 2 turn.
    Kind regards
    Huw63 likes this.
  19. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    LOL
    I'm buying mate.
    Gordon
    Huw63 likes this.