1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm RAF Pilot, 1940

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Peter Day, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    100_0691.JPG 100_0692.JPG 100_0693.JPG

This is another Verlinden figure kindly donated by Henk (many thanks again).

I did try and paint the kit head, but it just didn't work out, so I gave him another Reedees spare. In doing so, I of course lost the flying helmet, so I decided to scratch one, together with the oxygen mask, which was missing (or more likely lost by myself). For the helmet, I used a sanded down Trumpeter Soviet tanker's helmet, with added bits of plastic from the spares box and metal foil. The oxygen mask was based around a 1/35 polyvinyl cap, and also completed with metal foil. They're not totally accurate, but hopefully they do the job.

Vallejo colours used were Luftwaffe Uniform for the clothing and mixes of Desert Yellow and Buff for the Mae West - the latter is painted as a two colour version of the early 1932 pattern
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wonderful work and painted

Mobo
  3. callmehobbes Active Member

England
    Great paint job but the sculpt is a bit off. The arms seem far too long.
    fogie and Martin64 like this.
  4. Edward A Fixture

England
    Excellent work!
  5. William Scotts New Member

Great paint job Peter
  6. Henk Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Peter. You dont hang about, do you?:) The head is definitely an improvement, and good work on the flying helmet/oxygen mask.
  7. misfit151 A Fixture

Lovely job Peter.....(y). Mike
  8. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks chaps.

Yes, an odd sculpt Paul. The kit hands were enormous, which made the arms look even longer.
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nicely done Peter.(y)

Cheers
    Pedro.
  10. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Pedro.
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Peter

Another nice bit of painting , like the life preserver

Good replacement head as always from Mr R

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  12. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

Lovely work and great cuff stripes for the rank.

Lovely work on scratching the helmet too.

It always makes me smile with the Vallejo paint names and that Luftwaffe Uniform is the best match for RAF blue.

Looks like figures are back on the menu boys!

Enjoy your next victim and the mini heatwave

Regards

Steve H
  13. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Nap - Thank you.

Steve - Morning. An awkward looking figure, but nice to paint (all except the cuff stripes). Ironic that I used Luftwaffe Uniform, but it really is the closest Vallejo colour for the uniform. More Verlinden 'man flesh' on the bench - a British infantryman WW2. Where did this heat wave come from? Enjoy it anyway.
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  15. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Mike - I just painted what was there to the best of my ability.
    Klaus not Santa likes this.
  16. Mookie PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Peter.
    I think i have parts of the beasty in my stash.Seem to remember that he had hands like Oddbod in Carry on screaming.Think the u.boat chappie,Luftwaffe pilot and u.s pilot with .45 all suffered with mega jazz hands.Seem to recall Laurie telling me they made a right pickle out of his rank and has more bars than Keith Park or Dowding.A case of you doing a silk purse from a sows ear maybe.But we still got soft spot from V.p Figures.I certainly loved them aged 19 buying new ones every month.
    Hope the warmth doesnt make acrylics gummy.Cary on Carrutheres.
    Richard.
    Klaus not Santa likes this.
  17. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richard.

Well, as we've said often before, these figures have their problems, but they were pioneering, and like you, I have a big soft spot for them. I should have done some research on the rank insignia, but I just assumed they were right, being a bit lazy that way - nice to know it's not entirely my fault.

The hot weather has arrived, the paint has started clogging so time to put away the brushes. Good to hear from you.