1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Mountain Man Sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Anders Heintz, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey fellas!

Here is a 120mm Mountain Man that I sculpted some time back. It wa sintended for a master but was rejected Probably because of good reason and I stil have a lot to learn, after all this was my first 120mm sculpt :)

Its sculpted with Magic Sculpt and Duro over a Worster (now The Lost Batalion) resin mannequin. All comments and suggestions are most welcomed!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Wow.........................Wow.......................Wow
    I want one..........................please........love it Anders......my favorite period too.

Guy
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    The face is very good Anders, very youthful. I also really like the dual choice of headgear, especially the cap. You may want to take some of the roundness out of the shoulders, and have a look at the drapery on the sleeves.
  4. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Anders,

NOT BAD for a first 120mm (y) (y)

I guess by the clothing that it's a trapper from the Fur Trade period (1840).

Rightly observed, because it's a subject that people always tends to 'updress' (Indian beadwork, feathers, fancy fur caps, extra-long fringes,...). Trappers from that period were rather plain-looking and 'functional'.

However, there are a few details that need revising like the attachment of the powder horn, the size of the tobacco pouch, the proportions of the knife,... Small things but which would add interest and authenticity to your sculpt.

Strangely, the subjects from the Fur Trade period are VERY well-documentated and it's not at all hard to get the data to make an authentic-looking trapper (like yours).

But what the majority of the buying folks want is the romanticised interpretations à la Remington or McCarthy. This is perhaps the main reason why they didn't like your figure.

Anyway congrats for a first sculpt. (y)

Quang

PS: The boatswain cap is a nice touch!
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions :)

Yeah John, I made it as a master for TLB, but it was rejected

Quang,

What I was doing when I sculpted it was I had a picture that I went from, however I modified the pose as I went a long. I wanted to portray a young guy just starting out as a fur trapper, hence no fancy stuff. You are absolutely right Quang, they told me he was way to plain and he needed more fringes and beads, so I revised it and did the fringes around hid collar and the bead strips on the shoulders. I agree that the knife is a tad plain, so is the moccasins, but I figured that will give you more options how to paint it. As far as the powder horn, I acctually took the design and the mounting from a book, The American Frontier, by William C. Davis. It may still be wrong though. Thanks again guys, always helpful!
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
    You tell me, Anders! ;)

That's the harsh reality of commercial sculpting! My resellers ask me from time to time: "Why don't you sculpt an Indian like the ones in the movies? It would sell more!"

Now if you wish to pursue the project and finish your figure, just let me know. I'd be glad to help if I can.

(y)

Quang
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Quang!

Thanks for the offer, but I am done with this figure :) Ive spent way to much time on it already, and I'll just use it as a way to leave room for improvements! I might however take you up on it on another project :)

As far as the commercial sculpting, its very competetive and if what you do just isnt good enough, then you just have to keep working on it. The experience I gained from doing this piece and the communication with the manufacturer is priceless and now I understand the making of a figure for manufacturing much more, as I didnt have clue before, so it was all worth the effort and have paid for it self time and time again.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Great job for a first figure. I do like the face, he has a "country boy" look about him, and the headgear option is something seldom seen. I would suggest a bit more work on the anatomy and drapery effects, being mindful of the types of fabric/hides used for clothing as they have their own unique look in terms of folds and how heavy or light of a garment your figure is wearing. Keep plugging away you are going in the right direction my friend.~Gary