1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Luftwaffe General

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Peter Day, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    100_0752.JPG 100_0753.JPG 100_0754.JPG 100_0755.JPG

This is Verlinden's 120mm figure of a Luftwaffe general, based on this image of Kurt Student awarding medals, probably to fallschirmjagers

images (1).jpg download (11).jpg

As you can see from the box photo, the figure as it came was very bow-legged, so I chopped the legs about a bit, and used a pair of better-positioned Tamiya boots to try and improve the stance.

I also abandoned the kit head, which wasn't very good, and instead used a Reedees spare with a Tamiya cap. He no longer looks particularly like Student, so he'll just have to be a generic depiction. The medal ribbon is painted paper, and I also gave him a Dragon pistol.
    gazer, Babelfish, sd0324 and 9 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Superb great work again Peter

Mobo
    Henk likes this.
  3. misfit151 A Fixture

Lovely job Peter it's great to see these figures re -worked. (y). Mike
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent! I started on this one years ago also planning to change the stance, but got stuck. Drapery of the sculpt is nice, but the stance a bit off. Your changes are great and make all the difference.

Adrian
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Another nice rework you've done on the figure , stance certainly looks better and the painting works well

Nice display piece again from you

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Vast improvement with the stance now Peter, good call to change it, figure looks great.
    Cheers
    Steve
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Peter,
    Great job, you have actually improved that figure, your version is so much better than the original, nice paint job too.
    cheers
    Richie
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for looking in and taking the time to comment everyone. Glad you like him.
  9. Stephen Hutchinson PlanetFigure Supporter

Morning Peter

The scratchery and modelling skills are really coming to the fore.

Nice work with the legs and another Reedee's save too.

Great work on the paint and drapery too.

Another successful figure, well done.

More figures from the attic to come?

Enjoy the next victim, and keep warm as Autumn seems to have arrived

Regards

Steve H
    Nap likes this.
  10. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve

I am getting a bit more confident with the knife and Milliput. Glad you like how he's turned out.

This is actually a newly purchased figure, though it's been languishing for some time while I thought about what to do with the legs. I've got a Verlinden/Tamiya conversion up next, and another couple of figures fresh from the Dettol (also a bust).

A family set of Covid tests has just arrived as we've all developed something that involves a high temperature and a cough. Probably just a cold, but what a way to face the colder weather. Hey, ho.
  11. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    You should be very pleased with the result.. amazing work...
  12. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Fairly pleased Warren, thanks. Always room for improvement!
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For what it's worth Peter, when me & the Mrs had the (test-confirmed) "Dreaded Lurgy" earlier in the year, all we had was the sniffles for about 4 days and that was as bad as it got. And at that point we'd both only had one jab. Hopefully yours & the family's will turn out to be just as mild, if indeed that's what it turns out to be.

I really like what you've done with this figure, you are fast becoming the "Master of the Tweaks" and turning ho-hum older pieces into show-stoppers. You say you're now becoming more confident with the Milliput but it's as if you've been doing it forever. Top-drawer painting as well. So it's a Yes from me (again).

- Steve
  14. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve

We believe we had Covid 19 at the beginning of the epidemic, though of course there was no testing then. We're all double vaccinated, but with vulnerable in-laws to think of we thought it wise to get re-tested. It probably isn't Covid, fingers crossed.

Glad you like what I'm doing. I find that it's mostly a matter of trial and error and practice - finding solutions that suit your abilities and that hopefully push the limits.
    Nap and Babelfish like this.