1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 120mm Highland King

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by sam b, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,
    This is my first WIP, normally I just show finished figures.
    I can't really tell you much about this figure as there is not a lot of information on the internet about it and I bought it as part of a collection (if you know anything, let me know).
    I had every intention of selling it on but there were no buyers so thought I would tackle it myself. I am quite glad I decided to do so as it has been good fun so far (although a lot of tidying up to do!!)
    As you can see, I have primed him in matt black and put the first layer of highlights on, by using white spray paint to fall as the light would.....I find this helps to plan my attack of painting as I tend to use lots of opaque layered washes to get the result I want.
    This also goes for the ground work as I will airbrush this. I have also made some arrows to go through the shield and into the ground work to finish the piece off.
    Thanks for looking, Sam.

Attached Files:

John Bowery, sarouman, pmfs and 7 others like this.
  2. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great start Sam!
    A figure is cool.
    A ground work is amazing.
    I'd like to follow.

Mitsutaka.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Following :)
  5. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Will follow this, Sam, Nice looking groundwork,
    Eddy
  6. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Nice start Sam, following with interest.
    Fairly sure that there was another figure to go with this one. It was done in an attacking pose hence the defensive position of the shield on your fig.

Barrie.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The groundwork looks great.
    If that is what you gonna do with the figure it would be turning into a real showstopper.
    So, i gonna follow it close.

Marc
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for looking n leaving your comment and as always thanks to Carl for his never ending help .
  9. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Sam
    I think the job based on the miniatures is that in steals at first sight!
    Also talking about a miniature classic of the old ...
    The painting is almost free in the colors and designs while respecting tradition.
    Good continuity both next step painting

Alexandros
    http://alexminiatures.blogspot.com/
  10. damkid2 Member

United-States
    I know this kit is long out of production, yet does any one have any idea where I can find one?
  11. Lancer Active Member

There's a blast from the past, the Rape and Pillage series from Firing Line! Both the Highland King and the Viking have been sitting in my junk box for years. Love what you're doing with the highlander! Might just have to dust them off and have a look!
    Cheers
    Mark
    rej likes this.
  12. Whitney Active Member

United-States
    Nice start Sam!
  13. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice one Sam, good start, was just trying to figure out how your gonna do the next step on the ground work. Keep us up to speed with progress, looks as though it's going to be good !:D
  14. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks like you're off to a great start Sam. I did this figure a few years ago thanks to the generousity of Tony Dawe, who sent me his copy because he didn't think he'd ever get around to painting it. Here's my version, which I offer as a way for you to avoid some of my mistakes, like forgetting to use dullcoat to mention one! I also changed the shield from right to left and gave him a spear, although I don't know if that counts as a mistake.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your version. Should be awesome.
    [IMG]
  15. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,
    It has been a week since I have done a WIP report regarding this figure.....I don't know about you, but I never like my figures half way through painting them.
    Anyway, here is an up date....I have started the tartan (what a headache!). It still needs matting down, weathering and so on but it is getting there. I used airbrush and Vallejo paints and lots of masking tape and a little free hand....you may be able to tell which one's which.
    I have started the flesh tones, again Vallejo paints with my usual method. The figure has started to drive me mad so have started on the ground work. These are just the base colours as it will be wet, muddy, damp....basically, Scottish.
    Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Please note, I am using artistic impression with the tartan, following no particular patten.
    Thanks to everyone who posted and who has sent me information - it is all much appreciated.
    Sam B

Attached Files:

Kevin D. and gordy like this.
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The tartan looks well Sam, and the groundwork looks the business.
    Carl.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Nice work Sam. I'm not sure if you can find it but there's an excellent SBS done by Ray Farrugia on this figure; it's propbably in the archives.

Great work on the tartan and I like the groundwork.
  18. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Carl and Tony, yes mate I’ve had the sbs sent to me by housecarl ghamilt1 sent me his version, they have all helped a lot .
    But I’m not sure if this kit is the same as Ray Farrugias one, as there are so many air bubbles n the cast is really bad! I’m not really sure who makes it!! But I’ll keep going with it nun the less.
    Thanks Sam