1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm German WW1 Leutnant

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 30, 2007.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Planeteers

Here is Kirin's 120mm German WW1 Leutnant 1914, sculpted by Derek Hansen.

This figure is quite old now but still one of the best examples of a German officer from the early part of the Great War.

I always thought he'd look good in a little vignette with a British subaltern exchanging a bottle of wine or a few cigarettes as part of the Christmas "truce" of 1914, when both German and British troops met up in "no man's land" to celebrate the Christmas spirit.

The figure was painted in oils and enamels.

Hope you like.

Regards

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Another well done figure Tony. Any other surprises in your show case? :D Keep them coming my friend.
  3. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    great figure Tony, thanks for posting
  4. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great figure Tony........one which I always wanted to put my fingers on :(

Are you sure it was sculpted by Mike Good? AFA I know it was sculpted by Derek Hansen, but nonetheless, I stand up for correction by all means :D

Ray ;)
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry, I can't take credit for the sculpting, which was actually done by British sculptor, Derek Hanson.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mike

Thanks for clarifying that.

My apologies to Derek Hanson.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Cheers
  7. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Well Mike, you could've done it:)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    What a beuaty. great work Tony.
    Are you always painting big guys ???

Marc
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Big Boys

Hi Marc

Yeah, I like the "Big Boys" - 120mm or above:D .

I am also beginning to discover some smaller scales. I primed my 54mm Andrea Legolas figure last night:) . I only wish Andrea made him in 1/16th scale:rolleyes:

My Leonidas bust is coming along slowly:( . I've started filling the holes in his helmet with acrylic gap filler paint. Its very thin and builds up in coats which prevents it building up in the wrong places. I'll post some more pics of Legolas and Leonidas shortly.;)

Cheers
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony - Marvelous! Very well done!

This pose looks like it was taken from a Matania(?) illustration. The illustrator focuses on a Belgian (French?) little boy and his mama walking away from the officer. If memory serves the little boy is half-turned with his tongue stuck out at the German officer. It's a great illustration! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Guy, Rob, Ray & Dan - Thanks for your generous comments guys.

Dan - I think you're right about the origin of the pose for this figure. I remember seeing the illustration you're referring to in a very old series of magazines produced in 1919-20 called "The Great War". I picked up the entire series for $20 at a car boot sale about 10 years ago. There were over 300 magazines in eight bound leather covers, each magazine containing a mass of photos, maps and illustrations taken from a particular period of the war, as well as soldier's stories about the battles, as told by the survivors.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure" as they say!!!

As someone who has a passion for WW1 modelling subjects and the history of the war itself, I have found these magazines invaluable reference sources. If I can work out how to scan some of the images in these magazines, I'll be only too happy to share them with other WW1 afficionados on the Planet.

Cheers
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony - You may now consider me your new best friend! :) I envy you your collection of the Great War magazines! I've seen only a few of these and they're a treasure for certain!

All the best,
    Dan
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi "My New Best Friend"

I've just spent the past couple of hours looking through my collection of photos from The Great War magazines to find a few pics for you (and because its a very pleasant way to spend a few hours). I'll post them to your "Not your usual poses" thread in a few days. If you have a particular interest in a specific campaign or uniform or pose from WW1 please let me know and I'll see if I can dig out a pic or two for you.

Cheers