1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Cowboy, 1880's

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    After I did the kit review I primed this figure and began painting him between a couple of other projects. He is almost done except, as you can see, the lariat and the spurs. Next he will go on a base I am awaiting to arrive from Ken with a fence post in the back part of the base.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

all comments / critique's are welcome
  2. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hi Guy the figure looks great for me, maybe is because tha picture but I think that the flesh is too dark, that's my only comment...
    ER
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ernest. Some of the darkness is from the lighting as even the chaps are in reality, lighter. I have always leaned toward dark complexions for people who spend 75% of their time outdoors. But have to agree.....the lighting has made it even darker. Here are a couple of more shots with more direct lighting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Hope this helps
  4. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Very nice work Guy ! I special like the leather parts !
    Low picture sharpnes :(

All the best

Jacek
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, you're on a roll, there aint no stopping you now.

Keep up the good work

Roc :)
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comments guys. Here are a couple of more shots in an attempt to get a better focus.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    great job, photos are a little fuzzy. Strips on shirt are well done.
  8. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Looks great, Guy, well done ! (y) I see he's nearly finished, so I look forward to see him on that Ken Thomas base.
  9. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Nice painting Guy. Looks great!
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

This is great. You got to tell me how you did the fine strips. Man i love that.
    How you did the leathers, so lifelike.
    Now i am sure that you are a galaxy away.

Marc
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comments guys.....I appreciate them........sorry about the fuzzy pics.......I am working on that.

Marc - The stripes were done freehand after giving the complete white shirt a flat cclear coat. After drying I used a liner brush and carefully painted one stripe at a time. The flat coat allows me to use another clean brush with thinner to move the stripr over if it should become "out of line" with the others.

The leather chaps were done in enamels. A base coat of dark brown with an enamel wash after the brown thoroughly dried. The wash still allows the brown to show through in the highlight areas. After the wash had dried I dry brushed with several hues of rust and a final light (very light) dry brushing on the edges with orange.

Hope this helps.

Guy
  12. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I agree with the others, looks very nice.
    That is a figure I too get in my Cupboard.
    Maybe next year i want to do it.
    Thanks for sharing.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I always enjoy seeing your figures, Guy! Beautiful painting and thanks for taking the time to explain how you did the stripes. That's the kind of information a novice, like oui, can use. There are so many 'tricks' to learn! Maybe we should start a compendium of stuff like that here on the forum, but how would you index it so it could be practical?

As to your photos being fuzzy and dark, I've had some similar problems. As far as lighting goes, I'm still working on that. Mostly I'm taking shots out of doors in the morning. That seems to be the best light for resolving colors. I've yet to figure out how to use artificial light and flash, tho.

I'm using a Canon A95 now and I love it! So simple even a dunderhead like me can learn how to use it. It resolves the fuzz by just using a longer shutter opening setting. If I use a tripod, I can hold the shutter down long enough without 'bobbling' the frame too much. It also has a setting for close-ups that, again, uses a slow shutter speed and results in very clear close-ups up to about 3 inches away from the subject. Like everything it has its' limits, tho' - if you want closer than 3 inches - forget it! Not with this camera.

Hope this helps!

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Stophen and Dan. Here are some pics with the new Camera. Hope this is an improvement.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    He he sometimes I am Stephen sometimes I am Stophen.

Indeed your new camera is an improvement. Thanks again.
  16. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Guy this pictures looks more better, I like a lot the shirt and the leather parts :)
    great work...
    ER
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ernest. I will adjust the camera a little more each time until I get the quality I am looking for. Much better than with the old Sony I was using.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Guy,

This new camera is a giant leap for the picture's. Now i had to admire your work more.
    Thanks for the lessons in stripe's and leather.

Marc
  19. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Excellent figure Guy. Great job all around, I especially like the stripes, your flesh tones, and the 5 o'clock shadow.

John
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John, I appreciate your feedback.