1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 120MM British grenadier circa 1780 info required please

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by moz, Jan 8, 2014.

1. moz A Fixture

England
    This figure has been taken from some pictures of a re enactor, while I`m sure the guy has gone to a lot of trouble to obtain an authentic recreation I`m not sure if it should have wing epaulettes or not. I`ve seen conflicting reference. The queued wig is missing in these pics, but any other anomalies please shout out!
    ( I`m happy that the bayonet/ hanger belt has been attached to the waist belt as an original survives and went up for auction recently)

grenadier.jpg
    Baron, Edward, offo and 14 others like this.
  2. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Moz, I have the old Fort Duquesne figure of a Grenadier sergeant c.1776 sculpted by Gary Dombrowski. This figure has the shoulder wings sculpted on. There are seven reference sources quoted in the accompanying notes. Hope that helps.

Geoff
  3. polyphemus Well-Known Member

references are; Military Illustrated issues 18, 26, 27 ( These concern the 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers0.
    Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution pub 1975.
    Battle Weapons of the American Revolution.
    Osprey MAA 285 King Georges Army 1740-1793 (1) Infantry
    Osprey MAA 39 The British Army in North America 1775-1783 (Revised Edition)
    Osprey Warrior 19 British Redcoat 1740-1793
    Uniforms of the American Revolution (Blandford 1975)
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very nice piece Maurice,
    The drapery on the gaiters is really delightful and the classic pose with the chin up head looks really good.
    I have looked through Henry Hannings book 'The British Grenadiers' and there is not any evidence of winged epaulets until circa 1808. Up to this point I think that it was only drummers of the rank and file that wore them.
    Well done mate, for me this is up there with your best.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I cannot comment on uniform details and would rather leave that to those in the know. Now in the first photo on the left, and it maybe just the camera angle, the musket/rifle grip appears too slender and the buttstock too short. Was the rifle already modified in the next two shots? Finally, Is he keeping an eye on his target up in the trees? Totally possible yes, but it just looks awkward to me. Oh, did I mention that you do marvelous work!:D

Joe
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Moz, I'll do some checking but if I remember correctly it depended on the regiment if the grenadiers had wings or not which would explain your conflicting references.

Roger
  7. moz A Fixture

England
    I`ll check the stock thickness could be a bit slim, looks over pronounced because some of the Hanger scabbard is visible parallel to the barrel and makes that point seems wide, its in shadow a bit too. you can drop the angle of the chin as much as you like as the head is separate and there is enough room inside the collar opening to have him looking down even , that was just down to me.
    Joe55 likes this.
  8. moz A Fixture

England

He`s RWF ive got pics of them with and without, hes a sergeant so whether that makes any difference I`m not sure, I`ve seen sergeant grenadier company with just one, like an officer. we might make them as separate parts so that would leave it open
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'll do some checking and get back to you later on today. :)
  10. moz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the info. :)
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Just had a thought I think the examples you found without wings might be Battalion company soldiers as all ranks wore the fur fusilier cap not just grenadiers.

Roger.

23rd Foot.PNG
    napoleonpeart and Wings5797 like this.
  12. moz A Fixture

England
    Excellent, That explains a lot! Thank you.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England

You're welcome. (Put a word in for me with the Chinook pilot.) ;):D
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
  15. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    Moz, great figure, I like it!
    Here painting of DonTrouiani
    Ben

TRW54%20-%20British%20Grenadier%2033rd%20%20%201776-700x600.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    MalcC and billyturnip like this.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Well done Ben, that's the one I was looking for. :D

Roger.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    billyturnip likes this.
  18. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    I've been dying for a figure of this soldier for a long time! Beneito has one, but is a 54mm... Seil has one in 75mm which is great, except fot the fact that no longer exists.... so my options are reduced to zero.... until NOW!! The scale is not my favourite but screw that! It's awsome!!!!! Do the corrections you have to do but I'm getting one!

Regards
    Pedro
  19. moz A Fixture

England
    Thanks for all the info, I been on the RWFIA site, they have put a lot of effort into getting it right so I`m happy now that its correct for a sergeant of a battalion company of RWF. Thanks again! Moz
    billyturnip likes this.
  20. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Brilliantly created figure. Amazing proud body-pose, great details, excellent drapery, just fantastic work(y) . Congrats. Cheers Borek
    napoleonpeart likes this.