1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Brit Para Arnhem 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by 1969, Jan 5, 2009.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is a figure i sculpted and posted some months back and am now onto the painting stages.
    I have just recieved Danilo Cartacci`s book on painting miniatures and decided to paint the face in oils for the first time following his method,the only change i made was to paint the eyes in acrylics which i feel gives me more control on the detailing, just have to add some eyebrows to finish off.
    I will be painting flesh in oils from now on as i find i can get better results than with acrylics.

All comments and critique welcome.

[IMG]
  2. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Nice start sniper21.
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Steve,
    Looks good so far.I like what you,ve done with the oils .The skin has a more natural glow about it.look forward to more.
    Andy
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Christos..thanks

Andy..yeh i like the look of oils over acrylics,bit more life to them i think.

Steve
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great start Steve. Nice smooth blending on those skin tones.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Para

Steve ,
    Nice flesh tones , and blending look forward to the denison smock and how you are planning to base this up (on its own or with others perhaps ?)
    Good point about oils for fleshwork and what inspiration the book is as well , acrylics are better for eyes like you say control !!

Nap
  7. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great looking face Steve!
    This will be your best painted figure.
    Looking forward to see some more.

Marcel.
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony,Nap,Marcel..thanks for the words guys much appreciated

Nap the figure will be a standalone one,not sure of the basework just yet.

Steve
  9. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Steve,

first of all I like the painting so far. (the light blue eyes are very well done)
    But when I tried to find any pictures of the sculpt I couldn't find them.
    The reason for this is to find out if your sculpt has the right smock.
    During operation Market-Garden the para's were wearing the first pattern Denison smock.
    [IMG]
    This is a picture of a first pattern Denison smock in almost mint condition.
    Typical for this smock are the woolen cuffs, the front and back out of one piece of fabric and no buttons on the back of the flap.(hanging loose on the back) If you look at the pattern you can also see that there are 5 colors in it.
    The vast majority of the models (in all scales) are wrong and sculpted with a mishmash of different smocks.
    This is a result of small mistakes made by painters like R. Volstad. (no remarks on his excellent painting and drawing skills)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    As you can see the sniper is wearing a first pattern Denison smock. So there shouldn't be a sewing line in the center of the front and back. The picture of him clearly shows no line beneath the zipper yet mr. Volstad draws one from the belt down.

I hope you can do something with this info (actually I hope you got everything right and your sculpt doesn't need any work).
    If you need more info please check out this forum http://www.tommy-talk.com/
    It's mostly in Dutch but has an English chapter. (most dutch contributors will answer any question in English)

groeten from, Willem
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Willem thankyou for the input and also the image of the 1st patt smock,i will use this for colour reference when i paint the smock.I have not sculpted any stitch line on the dennison so this should be correct and he has woolen cuffs,although i have added rear attachment for the flap which i think is wrong but too late to change now.
    Thanks for the link i will check this out as i plan more britsh paras for the future,i have added an image of the figure for you to see.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Here is also a couple of latest pics of the head.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. WPS Member

Netherlands
    WOW, this is the best sculpt of a para I've seen. The sten is a gem in itself.
    To bad about the flap, it would have made this one perfect.
    Can't you cut it off and sculpt a loose dangling one ? (the shape of the sewn on part is the same minus the buttons)

groeten from, Willem
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  13. WPS Member

Netherlands
  14. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bit more progress with the figure,have started to paint the dennison smock cammo,still need to add some more shadow and maybe some more highlights.

Comments and critique welcome.

Steve

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Steve mate, this is fantastic stuff!

All the best!
    Jon.
  16. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent paintwork Steve!
    Keep up the good work, your paintwork is improving everytime.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  17. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Steve,

You've done the first pattern Dennison smock as it should be. With the flap dangling loose it just adds that rarely seen detail that's needed to get it right.
    Excellent sculpt and the painting does justice to the detail.
    I really think this the best sculpt of a para during Market Garden I've seen.

Keep this high standard of working and you'll have a stunning little master piece.

groeten, Willem
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jon...thanks for looking and the nice comment

Marcel...Im really enjoying painting this one,learning some new things along the way.

Willem...i just couldntleave the flap as it was after you had pointed it out so i resculpted this part and am glad i did now,thanks for the input much appreciated.

Thanks guys will post more pics soon.

Steve
  19. WPS Member

Netherlands
    Steve, remember that where the brown and dark green meet you end up with a almost black color. If you take a good look at the pattern you'll notice that there are 5 different colors in it. Be careful when applying, don't use this very dark color to much for it tends to make the smock too dark.

groet, Willem
  20. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the tip on the colours Willem i will add some to the smock.

Steve