1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm Aust. AIF Lewis Gunner 1917

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 31, 2007.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Planeteers

Yet another large scale ANZAC figure;)

This is Masters In Minitaure's Australian Lewis Gunner figure, scuplted by Phil Walden. I painted this figure in oils, enamels and pastels back in 1997, and like many of my earlier models, is now likely to be repainted in acrylics.:eek:

The figure depicts an Australian soldier on the Western Front in 1917, carrying a Lewis Light Machine Gun over his shoulder. He wears sand bags around his ankles to help keep his legs and feet dry and free from the mud. Sand bags were also worn on the feet to muffle the sounds of soldiers' movement prior to assembling for an attack.

The cape is made from a rubberized material (similar to oil skin) that shines when wet.

The Lewis Gun has a oil skin cloth covering the ejection port to help keep it clear of mud and prevent the gun from jamming.

The base has a "Rising Sun" badge worn by all Australian troops, which I pinched off one of my old uniforms.;) To convey the feeling of sinking into the mud, I recessed the feet into the base and built up the mud over his feet.

I hope you like it.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Wow I'm first to reply, what an achievement :(

Hey why are you planning to repaint such a beauty? Why don't you let him be like all the rest and then you can admire your style/ability of 10 years ago and compare it nostalgically with today's pieces?

My 2cents of suggesting............its your call at the end mate :D

Ray ;)
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Gonna mark this on the calandar Ray :D

I agree with Ray, Tony. Leave it as it is and use as a reference of what you were painting at that time. I quite often refer back to a figure that was painted years ago to see my own progress.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Sweet! Very nicely done Tony!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Ray, Guy - Thanks for your comments. If this figure was still in production I would leave it as it is and simply buy a new one and paint that, however this figure is now a very rare item and I'm simply not happy with how I painted it. I'm sure I'm not the only modeller on the planet who looks at some of his earlier work and wants to "do over" some of his work.

Dan - Thanks for your comments.

Cheers
  6. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Yep sure mate just go ahead and revamp this dude :p I know of someone else who "did over" some of his figures :D will post some of those soon :p

Ray ;)
  7. blaster Well-Known Member

United-States
    Repainting query

Hi Tony,

The figure looks great as it is. However, if your decision is to repaint this figure in acrylics, do you strip off the underlying paint and if so, what do you use?

Rgds Victor
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Looks too good to me to repaint it, Tony
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I agree with the others Tony.
    Leave it as it is. Looks good enough for me. He looks very muddy and wet.

marc
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Tony, as every body else has said it looks very good, but if you decide to repaint please post p[ictures.

Cheers
    Roc
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

If I did strip this figure and repaint him, I would use a spray on oven cleaning product called "Mr Muscle", and a stiff wire brush to remove the paint.

Having read all your comments I think I'll leave him as he is.

Afterall I have at least 6 figure projects currently on the go, and many more members of the "grey army" sitting in boxes waiting for the loving touch of my paint brush.

Cheers