1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

120mm 17th lancer trooper interest

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Gra30, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi all,
    This is something that has been sat on the bench a long time.
    The idea was to convert my previously sculpted trumpeter by Moz, to a trooper.
    Work has progressed a bit more since these pictures but I wanted to gauge feedback before commiting anymore.
    The pictures are only roughly posed and no detail etc yet on the converted parts but you get the overall feel of how he will look.
    I realise many bought the trumpeter so wanted to check the desirability. Of course it's never too late to change things at this stage
    Many thanks for looking and feedback
    Gra
    image.jpg image.jpg
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    For me personally.....the perfect partner to the Trumpeter mate....will bring a nice balance to a vignette of the two...with a horse in the background :wideyed: (y)

ATB

Ron
    DEL and Gra30 like this.
  3. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Carry on at let's see where you go with it. I agree with Ron as well would make a good partner with trumpeter.
    Gra30 likes this.
  4. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks good to me mate.
    Ian
    Gra30 likes this.
  5. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Looks excellent Graham.

Geoff
    Gra30 likes this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good idea. I'm sure it would/will be popular.

- Steve
    Gra30, Wings5797 and Fransab like this.
  7. Fransab Active Member

Spain
    Excellent and nice transfomation, and a good idea for me also.
    Gra30 likes this.
  8. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    To quote Queen, "I want it now"
    How about a bare head with the figure holding his hat by the chinstrap in his left hand?
    Or wearing the hat as normal but without the cover on it to show off the details?

Barrie
    Gra30 likes this.
  9. MalcC A Fixture

England
    That's going to awesome, can't wait to see you get some paint on it.(y)

Malc
    Gra30 likes this.
  10. Funky50 Guest

Great idea and a good companion to the trumpeter Or as a stand alone figure....Kevin
    Gra30 likes this.
  11. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Wow, can I say a massive thanks for such a positive response. You have all really given me the confidence to finish him now. It is so refreshing as he may have ended up in the 'never to be finished pile'. I will keep you posted, many thanks again and all being well he won't be far off.
    Best wishes and thanks
    Gra
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I prefer him to the trumpeter Gra.

Colin
    Wings5797 and Gra30 like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gra,

Although it has legs a fine looking piece which will make a fine stand alone figure or as a paring with the trumpeter .

Like the idea about the bare head ...and a hand holding the helmet ...or mabe have it hanging on the fence post ......

.......keep pushing that putty mate ..this is not for the "ntbf" pile

Thanks for sharing

Nap

PS how about some of the commanders from the Crimea ..or maybe Florence N ?
    Gra30 likes this.
  14. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What else have you hidden away or not completed?

Mike
    Gra30 and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. Inaki Active Member

Spain
    Hi, Graham!
    To be clear: if you complete and offer this Lancer, I'll purchase it.
    Moreover, if Moz and you spend some more time in releasing a mounted Lancer, I'll go for it.
    It's a shame that the only 120mm 17th mounted Lancer was offered by Roll Call so long ago that now it's alsmot imposible to get it.
    In my humble opinion, there is a clear "hierarchy" between mounted figures, dismounted ones and busts.

Iñaki
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi Gra
    yes I like it but can you change the stance slightly so that he is talking to the trumpeter, not sure if the fence will hold two.

Do you have an eta on the 71st Egypt yet
    all the best mick
  17. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Graham, it's a lovely relaxed pose and doesn't deserve to be consigned to the never to be finished box:). I agree with Nap and Barrie about the helmet. If you were to do an extra head, without helmet or (obviously) chin strap, and a helmet hollowed out to just sit over the upright fence post, that would provide a nice variation?
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Gra30 likes this.
  18. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I do like the bareheaded idea suggested by others although that would require work on the cap lines cast on the body as well as the head modifications. One alternative might be to sculpt a left hand holding the cap with the cap lines extending from the cap to the body if there was sufficient scale length on the cap lines to effect that.

Geoff
  19. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is superb. I love his more agressive stance - full of potential.
    A welcome diversion from the existing figure.
    Gra30 likes this.
  20. Inaki Active Member

Spain
    I apologize for insisting so much, but... what about offering a "conversion kit" to make a mounted Lancer? I think head, chest and right arm can keep as they are and just the legs and probably left arm had to be modified.
    I like the stance a lot, but I am missing a 17th Mounted Lancer since the Roll Call one is not available any more.
    My personal feeling, in Spain, is that two distinguished Regiments as the Greys and 17th Lancers deserve iconic mounted figures of the most representative Historical subjects (1815-1854). Apart of the Verlinden's Downed Grey and Victory's 1854 Officer, I cannot find any other relevant figure.
    Moz and Reid are releasing so many wonders lately that I cannot help asking for this.
    Anyway, Congratulations for this alternative Lancer and thank you Graham and Moz!!!!

Iñaki