1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

11th NY Fire Zouave done...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KeithP, Feb 4, 2008.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Finally finished this one. 54mm although it is closer to 65mm. Enjoyable figure but the casting is not up to Pegaso or Elite standards.

I was not satisfied with the how the red shirt and blue pants turned out. I thought the shirt shades were off and the highlights on the pants too white-ish.

I did try to spend more time on the groundwork...

Comments, critiques and suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

Keith

Attached Files:

2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    My friend Keith I will agree with you regarding the reds and the blues... The red looks quite flat...with no particular highlighting...(at least from those 2 photos). The blues look shiny.

Xenofon
  3. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    It is hard to which is highlight and which is natural light, if the figure is done in oils - leave it a few weeks until the oil evaporates, then re do the highlights/shadows. The groundwrk looks great and really so does the figure - don't beat yourself up.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    If you could correct the shining color i think you paint it very well.
    Some more shading on the red, and more midtone's on the blue will help alot.
    But i think that the picture's don't do justice.
    Your basework improved alot.

marc
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Xenofon, Steven and Marc -- Thanks for the comments and critiques. I am glad (sort of... :) to see that your assessments are similar to mine.

I am sure that the oils are dry and I do need to get them flatter.
    My photo skills could be improved, too. Unfortunatly, if I am practicing my photo skills, I am not painting !:)

Again... thanks very much for the input. If other's have input I would like to hear it as well.

Keith
  6. dinovision79 Active Member

Hungary
    Hi Keith,

I agree with you and the others, the red would need more contrast (also, as the figure bent forward, his belly should be darker, while his shoulders and back lighter), and as Marc said, midtones could possibily help the blue.
    Did you think of eg Testors dullcoat to eliminate the shine? I know nothing about oils, but works for acrylics.
    But hey, it's a really nicely painted figure, fleshtones are excellent, as the rifle and the base, also, I really like the overall look of the figure, the colours go along nicely.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Denes
  7. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    mix with a little burnt umber or so and your blue will look less 'blue'.
    the red should actually be painted with a darker tone so you can use the pure red as the highlights. The higher highlights can be obtained by mixing the red with some naples yellow. No whites because you'll only get pink !!
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Keith, you did a really nice job on this figure, it just has to dry.
    Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with the above Keith. Let it thoroughly dry then go back for the highlights.
  10. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent results. Welldone!!

Rafa
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the comments.

I have the MM flat finish and did use it on the tassle to take down the shine. Probably should have done it with the reds and pants blues too.

This figgie is done. I'd have to remove the MIG dust on the lower figure to redo the pants. So, with the great suggestions here, I'll move on and apply the "lessons learned" :)

Again, thanks very much to all who made comments and constructive criticism. I appreciate the opportunity to learn.

Keith