1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

11th hussars

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by malc, Sep 2, 2018.

1. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I thought as I have look at others on this forum ( though not critique ) I would post my 11th, as this was my first after some good number of years( couple of decades +) of no activity...

It is not complete yet but close.

20180807_080614.jpg
  2. Nap Forum Moderator

England
    Hi Malc

Looks good to me particularly the lacework

maybe slightly lighter backing for pics

Good to have you painting and posting

Nap
    malc likes this.
  3. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks Nap, I only use oils so can be a bit of a gap between posts, as for pics I used a wall early morning for this pic where as for the CGS Coldstream guard bust the pics were taken in the day with a white board.

I have three on the go one of which is a 200mm full figure present day guard, working on his face at the moment so will post as it progresses in a new thread.
  4. Tony Dawe PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Malc

I think you've captured the look and feel of this figure, but the eyes let it down. They aren't symmetrical and are different sizes. If I could offer you any constructive criticism, it would be to spend a bit more time on getting the eyes the same size and staring in the same direction, and by outlining the circular shape of the iris and then close off the iris by painting a thin line of flesh tone across the top of the lower eye lid. Ultimately the best reference source is to look into a mirror and study the shape and proportion of your own eyes and try to copy the look you want. I still do this with my models, much to the delight of my family who take the piss out of me during these "posing sessions" in front of the hall mirror. Keep at it mate. There's an excellent tutorial by Mark Bennett on the pF tutorials page on how to paint eyes which I highly recommend.
    Nap, Scotty and malc like this.
  5. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nap likes this.
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely done so far.

Mike
    malc likes this.
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello mate, I'll chime in if it helps.
    The stand out thing for me is the whites of the eyes, they're too white and cone across as harsh. Try considering using the lightest highlight of you skin tones. Eyes are a pig to get right though and I admit I struggle, especially in the larger scales as this is. It's 150mm if I recall and there's no way I can paint anything that big and make it look good, so you have the better of me! I'd also consider making slightly greater contrasts around the face skin tones as well, as across the face they're a bit 'samey' and the lights need to be lighter and the shade darker. Again, in the larger scales it becomes an art form to get right.

I always say though, that all I am critiquing is the image on my monitor as opposed to the real figure, which I'd like to see for real as I am sure it is better as digital photography can be cruel sometimes.

The tricky, odious, time consuming pesky lace work and buttons are spot on mate. A top rate job that has paid you back with a wonderfully painted figure. This leads me to the overall colours of the breeches and jacket - again exactly right if you ask me. I've always loved that uniform and you've given us a real treat.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
    malc likes this.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And the facial hair is good as well. This figure's not yours. ;)
    malc likes this.
  9. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Mines even more grey.
  10. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nap, MCPWilk and Blind Pew like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    malc likes this.
  12. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    What I ment to say was his ears and hat.

Cheers for comments, they are most welcome.
  13. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Just as an aside I'd like to have a go at MMM COLONEL DOUGLAS 11TH HUSSARS.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're a glutton for punishment. That is one really good figure though, I just don't like the scale, if it was 75mm I'd be all over it.
  15. JonH Active Member

Hi Malc.
    That guardsman's face looks very good.If you could transpose that to your 11th Hussar you'd have an excellent figure. I particularly like the pelisse and braiding.
    One stand out for me is your choice of colour which I think looks really authentic and natural.
    Jon.
    malc likes this.
  16. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks Jon, I have been thinking of redoing the face.
    When I do I'll post the result.

As for colours it took a while as blues and some dark refs can be a right bugger to do.