1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

101St Airborne.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by housecarl, Oct 21, 2010.

1. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    hi Carl,

firstly great work really excellent painting and great work on the groundwork, i just have one niggle i am affraid, your uniform colours are wrong, paratroopers of the u.s army in ww2 wore two distinct uniforms for the normandy campaign they were issued with the 1942 jump uniform

[IMG] which was a shade known as od 3 which has a khaki appearance.

Following this they were issued a modified version of the 1943 combat uniform
    [IMG] which as you can see is in shade od 7 which was green in appearance.

now my niggle is that the paratrooper you have built is wearing the 1943 combat uniform as having seen this figure before he is set around operation market garden which was when the new 1943 uniform was issued to them, there unfortunately is no cross over of shades or colours regarding these uniforms it was definitely od 7 green.

however, let me just say this is any excellent paint job and very well done on it really good job, i personally would have researched a bit more but hey thats me.

cheers

Simon
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for posting the correct shades, Simon. I'll just put it down to artistic licence, and these that I erroneously used as reference.
    Carl.

Attached Files:

3. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    artistic licence suits me hey i can see why you painted the colour judging by references

take it easy mate and enjoy your modelling

simon
  4. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Great work Carl. I take it s acrylics you use?
  5. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Carl,
    He looks very good.The ground work is good too.It was great to meet you and the others at Euro.
    Cheers
    Andy
  6. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent Carl, I agree this is your best work to date. Everything is engaging, the pose, groundwork, and painting style. Nice touch adding the drainage outlet and water too. Cheers Mat
    Cheers Mat
    Best Mat
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Congrats, Carl!

How does one get hold of an S&T kit these days, outside the usual four 1/16 Panzer riders and the 1/35 lot? You just bump into them and there is no other way, right? I am especially keen on the pair of US tankers each with a gun in hand.

Thanks in advance!
  8. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Very well done Carl - the ground work is excellent with good harmonisation.(y)
  9. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    well i am not sure how different the dyes of american uniform supplieres where,in german army the differences beetween uniform batches where significant.and i would think in us army too.
    so i can not think why the colours shall be wrong,first its an miniature in scale and any colour looks totaly different.then even if its some lighter in colour lets not forget the fading aging effect.
    for my taste the miniature is painted in an perfect colour sheme.well surly one can persist in an certain green tone but makes not too much sense to me.
    the shading and highlighting does count and this is here to an high standart.and the basic tone is fully in range of an worn uniform.
    cheers
  10. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom

it is not a case of different batches or variations in dyes, the uniform colours were clompletely different and therefore the use of that shade for that for that uniform is historically inaccurate as the 1943 jump uniform is completely different in both tayloring and colour to that of 1942 uniform.

the figure painted here is dressed in the 1943 uniform multiple references shown below
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

right as you can see this shade is green in appearance and marks a distinctive change in U.S uniform colouring which did not change until till the 1970's when camouflage uniforms began to be introduced.

now the issue here is that the painter has used od3 which is light shade of khaki appearance which was used only on the 1942 jump uniform shown below which of course as i have pointed out this figure is NOT!!!!!! wearing.[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

sorry to rant on a bit but this isn't a matter of shade, taste or batches varying in colour this is a matter of two different uniforms in different colours and therefore a matter of fact.

1942 UNIFORM [IMG]

1943 UNIFORM soldier is wearing [IMG]
  11. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice, special the ground...(y)
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Whoa, that's a lot of high Q reference material. Like it as such, just too bad about the conclusion about Carl's great version of the para.
    Bummer Carl, you just have to paint another one now...!
    (I have Alpine's one on the assembly line now and I can recommend it very much....)
    (so if it's worth anything, I really like the reference stuff presented here).

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Carl, Excellent painting and groundwork , must agree with the majority verdict, poss you're best to date. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Cheers Ken
  14. tots48 New Member

United-States
    Great Figure Carl!

Uniform is right on! Painting is fantastic. "Airborne all the Way!"
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    bit late chiming in here mate but i have to agree this one has moved your painting up a level in my opinion, really nice result mate with both figure and groundwork.
    Always liked the look of this S&T figure, shame its so expensive to get hold of one nowdays :(

Cheers mate

Steve(y)
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to comment.
    I'm flattered,
    Carl.