1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 101st Airborne, D-Day, Micheal Roberts 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Dec 18, 2009.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony.

A shame about the base. But the figure is looking very nice.

Mark
  2. tankman3rd4id Member

United-States
    very nicely done, i built this kit a yr or so ago and what i did to the head was cut a small bevel out of it so the helmet was just a touch lower . i tilted it also. over all 10x better than mine so ignore any comments from me lol.
    RICK.
  3. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Tony, i know how difficult is painting in the hot summer..i can't do it and i prefer go fishing..:eek: You are doing a fantastic painting job on this figure , for my opinion one of your best (y)

cheers

stefano
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK, so I'm partial to Earth Tones. . .

Hi Tony:

I have a number of Michael Roberts figures and am a big fan of that line.
    Really high quality castings. This figure really looks very good. Yes, I know
    I talk about using colour a lot, especially lately. And then you come up with
    a paint scheme that is composed of what I'll call, the range of "Earth Tones".
    And yeh, I get that "Oh this is really good" kind of feeling when I see the
    Earth tones used so well. And how everything is in good colour harmony,
    here. I really like the subtle variation of shade and tones here. The tans,
    leather browns, The green shades of the various pieces of equipment. All
    those tones are just at the right value to work so well together.

And so for me, this also is a very good use of colour as a modelers
    important tool, yet the colours are within a certain range. I can't seem to
    say what I am thinking. Not sure why. But hopefully you get my meaning,
    Tony,

Eager to follow the WIP on this one. As you're aware I am sure, most
    historians are calling D-Day the most significant event in the 20th Century.

Jayhawker
  5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice work so far Tony, think you made the right choice not to put him on the large base.
    Hope you will still use the groundwork for some other project as it is very well done.

Cheers David
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    Great start.
    I liked the color of the uniform.
    I considered purchase about this figure, too.
    It's a very wonderful figure, isn't it?
    I expect it of future's development of your work.

Mitsutaka
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Glenn, Band of Brothers recently aired again on TV here and that's what inspired me to paint this figure, and yes, Carentan was the setting I imagined in my mind when I started on him. Thanks for your comments mate. I'm glad you like him.

Thanks Hiroshi, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments. I hope to finish this figure soon.

Hi Mark, yeah it's a shame about the base, but it will live to see another day. The figure looks better on its own.

Hi Rick, I too bevelled out the inside of the helmet to help it sit down on the head but I was really keen to show it cocked to the side. I'd like to see the pics of your version of this figure. Thanks for your generous comments.

Hi Stefano, I also like to go fishing in summer but it's too hot to go fishing at the moment. You'd get heat stroke within an hour. I've been lots of excuses lately not to paint, but the reality is I'm an extremely lazy person when I want to be. I appreciate your comments on my figure. I'm not sure that I agree it's on of my best, but I appreciate you saying so.

Howdy Rick, I'm glad you like the colours I've chosen and the way they've been applied. I was hoping to create a slightly Band of Brothers/ Saving Private Ryan visual effect, by reducing the intensity of the colours and applying a high contrast style. I'm still not completely satisfied Ive captured the look, but I appreciate you commenting on the colours and the "harmony". That was one of the effects I was aiming for.

G'day Dave, thanks for the vote of support for changing the base. I'm sure it will be resurrected for another project. I appreciate your comments mate.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mitsutaka,

I'd really like to see how you paint this figure. At 54mm it may be a bit too small for your liking, but it's very well sculpted and would definitely provide a challenge for you. Thanks once again for your supportive comments.
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    From what I saw yesterday, the pictures definately dont do this one justice, you have done a great job on the face, and the uniform has just the right amount of contrast for this scale.
    It was good to catch up with you yesterday, albeit only for a short time, thats life now I guess. Keep those brushes wet mate.
    Ben
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Ben,

It was inspiring to get you and the boys over for a session yesterday, and to see the work you've done on your "Stampede" vignette. Thanks for your commentson my little para.
  11. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Great building work, I agree, the figure would have become lost.

As a stand alone figure, a smaller base would help focus on the figure.

Ideas abound, emerging from roadside shrubbery seems to be a paras native environment...

....after climbing down from trees he didn't climb up!:D

Good figure, some of the leather work (ie boots) looks good, as does the furniture on the rifle.

Cheers
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Jamie,

I was thinking of a simple base with some hedgerow on one side. I appreciate your comments mate and I hope to have this figue finished soon.
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    However you decide to displlay him, I'm sure he will look well.
    Sorry to hear that you're too hot, you can send some over here.
    Carl.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Finished -at last

Hi guys,

I've finally finished this 54mm paratrooper from Michael Roberts.

Hope you like him. Comments/criticism welcome.

Attached Files:

15. Hardy Guest

Excellent work mate, you are really mastering these little fellows as well as the big un's . Hardy
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Hardy. These 54mm figures are hard work. I've probably put as much time into this little dude as one of my big Naked Army figures. I'm glad you like him mate.
  17. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    It's really a beauty Tony , very well done , all of it seems perfectly toned together , many congrats !! (y)

cheers

stefano
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thank you very much Stefano. I tried hard to blend the uniform colours well and achieve the washed out tone that you see when you watch Band Of Brothers. I'm pleased you like it .
  19. Von Luch Active Member

United-States
    Tony,

Congrats on a beautiful paint job, and the groundwork is awesome! I really liked the scratchbuild you had going with the building. I would create a really nice vignette or something with that. Thanks for the SBS on that anyway.

Jim
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for your comments mate. The bombed out building will be used for something else, I just haven't decided what yet. It's too big for a single figure, but would beperfect for a vignette with 3-4 figures.