1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 1/ Lanc Fusiliers, Somme 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I think its coming around nicely, and can't wait to seeing him done up (y)!

Joe
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. I always appreciative our your support and advice.

It may not look much different, but there has been a lot of work done lately on sharpening up some of the contrasts and defining the highlights and shadows.

I've also started applying oil washes over the tunic and webbing to add some depth to the colours.

I'll deal with the mascara issues later:cautious: Mike.

IMG_1879.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one Tony, some great shading coming along there. I can tell this one will be done just in time for Wasmex!!!!!!!!!
    Ben
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    That's the plan Ben. Thanks for your comments mate, looking forward to seeing your entrants to the WASMEx competition..
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Its looking really great Tony,i really like it mate
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Brian,

Glad you like it mate.

Rifle added and now just some light pastel chalk dust to add before I call this one finished.
    IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1892.JPG IMG_1893.JPG
    napoleonpeart, Edward, crf and 3 others like this.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looks great Tony, you haven't forgotten the yellow hackle have you? :)

Roger.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England

Ooops. :oops:
  10. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice one, Tony, he's turning out great.
    Looking forward to seeing him and your other work at WASMEx soon mate - speaking of which, I'd better get off my arse and pick up some brushes
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Great job. I love this bust. And I can't believe you painted that fairly large lump of resin twirling it on a pin vice. I would screw that up in a minute. :)

Colin
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Tony. (y)
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice all around Tony;.....followed your style for a while now.....Can you direct me to a reference on blending oil on acrylics?.......Hate to follow up a compliment with a question,but it seemed convenient...No answer,No problem......Keep up the good work.........Wayne
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys,

Nick, I'm keen to see what you show up with at WASMEx. You've set the bar high for yourself mate.:notworthy:

Hi Colin, yes the pin vice is not exactly a stable platform for painting. I do need to invest in something more suitable, don't I?:rolleyes:

Cheers Carl. What's with the avatar mate. It's not quite Maggie T, but almost. Scary.

Hi Wayne, thanks for your comments. I can't direct you to any specific reference for blending oils and acrylics as I don't use one. I've developed my own technique through a lengthy process of trial and error of several years now. In essence, I paint the figure in acrylics, highlighting and shading as if I intended to paint it entirely in acrylics only. I try my best to ensure smooth transitions between highlights and shadows. When I'm satisfied that I've taken the acrylics as far as I can, I then apply the oils in a series of very dilute, thin pin washes over the acrylics.

I use Artists White Spirits to dilute the oil paint, and it can take up to a dozen thin washes for the colours to look right. In most cases I'm actually deepening the colours by applying the oil washes, enhancing some of the depth of the colours, and also seeking to add some tonal variations. Sometimes this method has a tendency to reduce the contrast of the highlights, so once the oil washes have dried, I will often re-touch the highlights with acrylics. It's not a perfect system, in fact it typically ad hoc and chaotic and doesn't follow any fixed plan or schedule, but it seems to work for me, and more importantly I like the results I'm able to achieve by blending the two paint mediums together.

In looking at these latest photos, I realised I've not only forgotten the yellow hackle on the helmet (apologies Roger) but I haven't done any weathering on the uniform or rifle and not added any of the dust, dirt and sweat effects to the face. Still more work to do.
    crf likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Tony....I follow .....Didn't expect an SBS......Your answer is enough to take me to my next trial and error...or...success......................Regards,..Wayne
    tonydawe likes this.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to Roger (billyturnip) for his eagle-eye and his knowledge of WW1 British uniforms, I almost forgot to paint the yellow hackle on the left side of the helmet, which he tells me represents the yellow hackle worn on the Fusiliers bear skin hat.

So now the bust is nearing completion. I cracked open the pastel chalks last night and started on the weathering. As advised, I've stayed away from the heavy mud look that is more appropriate to the Ypres-Passchendaele battles in Belgium in 1917, and gone for a dirty but dry look.

I was hoping to capture something of the look of a man who has gone "over the top" and returned, but can't comprehend what he's just seen and done. A sort of stunned incomprehension. The face is streaked with dirt that has been washed away by sweat and tears.

I've decided to leave the shovel off, as it obscures the rear of the bust.

IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1898.JPG IMG_1899.JPG IMG_1900.JPG
    Edward, napoleonpeart, Eludia and 4 others like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Perfect Tony. July 1 was a hot day and dirt and sweat fit the story perfectly.

The men in question before they went over from the famous sunken lane.

Colin
    Eludia, Funky50 and tonydawe like this.
  18. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Well done Tony.......tough to beat that.....keep up the good work.....regards,..Wayne
    tonydawe likes this.
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent weathering Tony, cant wait to see this one up close (only three weeks!!!!!!!!). I want to see the dirt streaking in person as your pics are a bit blurry when enlarged.
    Ben
    tonydawe likes this.
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great job Tony.

Roger
    tonydawe likes this.