1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP 1/ Lanc Fusiliers, Somme 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 10, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

With the commemorations of the centenary of the start of WW1 all around us, it seemed the right time to enlist this bust from the Grey Army and put him into action.

I intend to cover him with dirt and mud and stains etc. so please don't judge him yet. He's far too clean and neat for my liking.;) I've done some highlighting on the tunic but not much else.

For the face, I wanted it to convey the sense of a young man who has just been through hell, and is lost in his thoughts.

Here are the first WIP pics. I hope you like them.

As always, I welcome feedback and criticism.
    IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1875.JPG IMG_1876.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1878.JPG
    Jazz, Don Johnson, Wings5797 and 24 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Really nice Tony. If you are doing July 1, remember that it was the most beautiful day of that summer and that many of the trenches were dug in white chalk. Don't fall into the Paaschendaele mud trap. He is well on his way to being a superb rendition of one of Young's best busts.

Colin
    billyturnip likes this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great start Tony. I agree with Colin but when I get home on Friday from sea I will be able to tell you from "The Somme Day by Day" (Chris McCarthy) when the weather broke. (y)

Roger.
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done, especially the face. My only other comment would be that the rank chevrons usually had a chevron pattern running through them.:

Sergeant's tunic.jpg
    Best wishes,

Mike
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks gents,

Colin, great tip in regards to the chalky soil of the Somme. I will pay attention to that.

Roger, thanks for your help on the unit badges for 1 Lancs. I hope I got the colours right. I'm thinking of leaving off the shovel blade so you can get a better view of the rear of the bust.

Mike, the rank chevrons have been base coated with an off white colour, but I intend to paint them exactly as your photo indicates. I just haven't got that far yet.

Still at a relatively early stage of painting so forgive me if it looks like I haven't bothered with certain details, like the yellow inverted triangular blaze on the helmet.
    billyturnip likes this.
  6. SLR Active Member

very well done Tony ! (y)
  7. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Shaping up well Tony & you've captured that "Lost in thought" look.
    Only suggestion is maybe pull back shading on eye bags, looks a bit like a mascara job ;-)

Look forward to seeing next update on this..
    Mike
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Mike, I agree. I was planning to tone down the dark shading under the eyes as it is far too heavy.

I'm glad you think I've captured that "lost in thought" look. Sometimes it can just look like a zombie stare.
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good Tony,look forward to seeing him progress.
    Brian
  10. Mark S Guest

Great work so far, Tony.
  11. swralph A Fixture

looking good.
  12. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great mate, love his face so far
    MCPWilk likes this.
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The face is superbly done.

Mike
  14. Franckythefrench Active Member

France
    Hi Tony,

As usual........ very well done!;)
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Tony - the white chalk can be overdone if one isn't careful. Also it may look weird to an uneducated viewer who is Blackaddered into thinking WWI = muck everywhere. I would suggest being very restrained with the white and going for a very light dust approach. This clip from Birdsong represents the effect of the chalk well.

Looking forward to seeing what is next.

Colin
    Jamie Stokes and Mark S like this.
  16. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony,

A fine rendition, looks great! Just one observation, (on the sculpt, not the execution) but the angle of the chevrons look far too steep and a bit too high, if you compare to the pic of the tunic? Or maybe its me....?!

Steve(y)
  17. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats looking very nice Tony!!!
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Thanks again for all your supportive and positive comments and the constructive advice.

Colin, thanks for the clip and the advice. I'm keen to do a light dusting, rather than a heavy mud treatment. I'm more interested in showing sweat stains than blood splatters.

Steve, I agree that the rank chevrons do look unusually steep in their angle. Once they are painted, I hope they wont stand out so much and will be less obvious.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  19. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Nice start Bro..........

looking forward to see him in the flesh all weathered up
    Cheers Mate
    Chris
  20. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Nice work so far, an excellent bust for sure-
    Scott