1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

1/9th scale bust: Headgear

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the Ushanka almost finished. I should have taken inprog pics but was doing math inbetween the time when the head was curing so didn't take time to take pics :(

What I did was first I made the part that goes ontop of the head, the main body of the Ushanka. When it was semi hard, I did the seam line and gently pressed it with scotch brite to create wool effect. I then let it cure, and once cured I took some steel wool to make a gentler wool effect. Then I did the front piece, and again making the fur texture with scotch brite, this time I used a new piece and pressed harder to create more effect. Then I did the band that goes around the head, and once that was cured I did the back piece, and then the side pieces, one at a time letting it cure inbetween so I didnt mess them up. All I need to do is some clean up and remove pencil marks where I roughly marked where the flaps would go, and make the string that hold them together.

Enough talk, here are the pics :)

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is a close up of the textures.

Attached Files:

3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Anders,

VERY realistic fur texture. (y)

Scotch-Brite, heh? Well, of course. Could use the tip myself.

Live and learn!

Q.
  4. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Anders, :eek: great texture, you're a
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Anders! :)

What an excellent idea! Inspired!

It looks really good

Rob
  6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Great idea,Anders (y) I'm really glad that you shared that tip with all of us ! Does it work for all scales(i.e. 54mm upwards) Do let us know,won't you ? Thanks and cheers.
    Kenneth
  7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    VERY nice Anders! Your on your way my friend. (y)

Jason
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    great job! (y)
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, I like the texture of the fur, great idea for creating a fur effect.~Gary
  10. JP PRAJOUX Member

Hello,
    I scratchbuilt a Finish General bust a few years ago. He has nearly the same hat. I myself used milliput and made the texture with a toothbrush.
    It was quite easy to do. The result doesn't look the same, more textured.
    I try to insert a picture of it.
    Bye
    Jean-Philippe
  11. JP PRAJOUX Member

I could not manage to insert an image from my hard disk !
    How do you all do that ?
    Bye
    JP
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all your comments :) It was kind of an accident that I used scotch brite, just had some laying around and decided to try it, and it worked.

Kenneth,

Im not sure how it would look on smaller scales as the effect has to be harsher in smaller scale to show the effect more. It's worth a try though!

JP,

I would love to see your version of the furhat. I don't think that you can post images in someone elses workbench, so maybe you have to start a new thread, then click the Browse button below all the smiley faces and select your file.
  13. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Thanks for the reply,Anders;I personally use a sewing pin and randomly poke and pull the epoxy putty until I get the fur effect that I am satisfied with. I'll try your method though,on my next 54mm figure conversion/sculpt,and let you know how it turns out Thanks,once again,and cheers :biggrin:
    Kenneth