1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/9th Nigel 'Sharky' Ward Falklands war 1982

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Steve Brodie, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Finding colour images, references for the flying gear has proved a challenge, so i sent an email of the FAA Museum at Yeovilton, unfortunatley due to covid there is no one on site, they did send me a couple of stills though;

I stumbled across Navy-Net forum, so put the question in there and had some extremly helpful information back from users on this forum;

Bone dome - Dark Green, white reflective cross on back/top. Clips on side of helmet, metallic.
    Visor Cover - Black
    Life Presever - Dark Green, needed handle is black. DayGlo patch on rear of Life vest. Usually with a number as they are usually a pool item rather than individual issue.
    O2 mask and hose black rubber. That said, I have seen grey O2 masks

Immersion / Goon Suit;
    The goon suit is for flight over the sea. I have never seen a Nomex flight suit worn over the top of a 'Goon Suit' or Immersion coverall to give it it's correct title.

The goon suit is worn over survival clothing, thermals etc. Then any fixed wing apparel, anti G equipment. Mae West over all that!!

After Sharkey's time there were lightweight immersion suits introduced and these could be worn under the flying suit and, indeed, under the 'g' suit. However, in Sharkey's time the immersion suit was worn on top of whatever you were wearing underneath. In the Sea Harrier it was usual not to bother with a 'g' suit and immersion suit. The 'g' suit was normally saved for Summer, when the immersion suit was stored away but pockets were still required for incredibly useful stuff. SO, the immersion suit was green and the neck and wrist seals were black.
    The oxygen mask is 'interesting'. The rubber hose should be black (in a Sea Harrier, not a T-bird). The plastic part of the oxygen mask should be black BUT the rubber, 'inner', part was normally green. HOWEVER, I think Sharkey may have one of the anti-skin complaint mask rubbers. It looks very light in the photo and these were available for people who could get rashes etc from the rubber. They were called medical masks because they were made from a different material. These were actually more of a light skin colour.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Helmet

Sharkey's helmet is a Mk 3C. These were a fairly short-lived interim between the 3B and 4A but there are significant differences between them, so it would be nice to get it right.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Noticed after priming the head, that their is a casting seam/defect on the back of the helmet;

[IMG]

so has been filled and will be sanded smooth;

[IMG]

The details on the bust Immersion suit match the reference details really well, including the pen holders and the zipper. Looks good put together;

[IMG]

I have also purchased this rare Revell 1/144 Sea Harrier model, and as you can see its quite small, but will be ideal for what i have in mind with the stand;

[IMG]
    [IMG]

And the Squadron to also pin on the base;

[IMG]
    Jed, Perseas, Redcap and 7 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Following this right with you , great response on the references

Look forward to seeing more on this including any alterations

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  3. callmehobbes Active Member

England
    Following with (a lot of) interest.
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  4. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great idea Steve
  5. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  6. Airkid PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I'm on this one!

Phil
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    My thinking for the plinth, is to have sharky on a short brass pile then coming straight out of the front of the wood plinth, in a cloud the front end of the harrier, with the unit pin below and the nameplate. Harrier sliced roughly as per this shoddy illustration;

Screenshot_20210329-203244_Flickr.jpg

Obviously the harrier will be painted as per the jets on the carriers down in the Falklands - Barley grey.
  8. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    i like the idea for the jet plinth :)
  9. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Helmet fixed;

[IMG]
    Perseas and Jed like this.
  10. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A great project Steve.
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  11. Graham A Fixture

England
    Love the idea of the Harrier as part of the base(y)
    Steve Brodie likes this.
  12. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Started work on Sharky's face, needs maybe another coat of the base colour and a bit of tidying up on the eyes, before the hard work begins

[IMG]
    Nap, Chris Oldfield, Martin64 and 4 others like this.
  13. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Great concept, Steve. A bit lighter than the last one!
  14. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

By 1/2 stone i suspect :)
  15. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Amazing the difference a bit of colour makes, helmet colours blocked in

That's a bit of dirt on his eyeball/ lower lid

Resizer_16172096432021.jpg Resizer_16172096432020.jpg
    Redcap, Nap, KenBoyle and 6 others like this.
  16. Peter Day PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great painting Steve. he's coming along nicely.
  17. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Peter, will look better (hopefully) once the flesh has been filled out.
  18. Sylvanus Active Member

United-Kingdom
    When you are finished I will make sure that Sharkey sees what you have done to him!

I still have my original Hard Helmet Mk 3! Army Air Corps 1962. All in WHITE as were the flying gloves. That changed and the Helmets were modded in Khaki paint job. Mine was last modified by RAF at Gutersloh in 1983 just before I retired. Somehow nobody asked me to hand it in! I was only once in a jet fighter .. a Hunter at 764 Sqn at HMS Fulmar in Lossiemouth were I was the CBALS and FAC. That was in 1971/72. I was rigged in a Immersion Suit as always used there as in was close by the seea and we flow across the Moray Firth to the Tan Ranges see Glemorangie Malt label for air view of Distillery, a nav aid! Interesting short flight for an Army Pilot who only flew Auster AOP and Beavers at slow low level. We did lyfy across the channel though low level 50ft Calais to Dover Cliffs turn north to Manston!

Lossie is from where I met Sharkey as a young Phantom Pilot on 892 with HMS Ark Royal, Cats and Traps days. I was only with Fleet Air Arm for 14 months, with 2 trips on the Ark on Arctic NATO excercises, briefing and debriefing pilots as watch-keepers 6hrs on 6 hrs off, Sleep or eat between? 892 and 809 aboard, 809 the Nuclear strike Buccaneers.

For more info watch the old TV Series " Sailing" made just after I went back to the Army for a spell in BAOR again.

Now a member of the NAVY Wings at RNAS Yeovilton! You may need an interpreter for the above! I did NOT go to the Falkland as I was with RAF Support Helicopters in BAOR. My colleague at RAF Odiham did go down with Atlantic Conveyor, but was picked up and saw out the Campaign on a Carrier (with Sharkey). I have mentionend that I saw Sharkey at Gutersloh the day he came over from UK for a duty - free Jolly, only to be told to go straight back as War had been declared! Both NAS Harrier Sqn Bosses had to flu straight back pdq! Sorry to bore you!
    Nap likes this.
  19. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow, thats amazing, not bored by any means. I remember watching sailing way back in the day. Yep reading harrier 809 and that bit about them been recalled is in the book.
    Thanks for the update, love it.
  20. Sylvanus Active Member

United-Kingdom
    809 will be stood up as the next F-35B Squadron. First actual new NAS Fleet Air Arm, There wiil be 2 RAF and 2 FAA Frontline Squadrons. Frankly all four should be FAA 2 from each Carrier! If the cut the numbers sparks will fly! Sharkey has bis views!
    Nap likes this.