1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/9th Capt. Mercer @ Waterloo...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    ...by Mitches Military Models. My current project. Flash and flow marks removed all parts, legs and upper torso assembled. No significant problems. Ready for primer - I use Tamiya Grey Surface Primer.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 8.18.05 AM.png
    MCPWilk, malc, Airkid and 5 others like this.
  2. Graham PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice looking figure
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Lzrsen

Nice looking figure to work on , lots of detail lacing to get right

Do you always paint in parts rather than build up a figure?

Have you plans for the base yet ..perhaps a cannon ? ..looking at the scale perhaps not !

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nap, thanks. The good Captain is a project. As for painting in parts, I have no hard and fast rule. The figure tells me how much to assemble before I begin. In Mercer's case I'll paint the torso and arms separately as in IMO to assemble the arms before painting would make the job of painting the lace much more difficult. I'm always very careful to ensure a good fit to minimize any gaps between parts when I paint separately. Those minor gaps that do occur are easily handled with filler and touch up paint. (Thanks to whomever invented the wet palette!) That said I always paint the little fiddly parts separately and add them after everything has been painted. They just get in the way if I add them before painting.

I haven't decided on the base yet. You're idea of a cannon is cool and I do happen to have a real, small black powder cannon but I'm not sure the scale is appropriate or if the design of the gun is compatible with the Napoleonic era. Pics are attached. My other thought is to take a minimalist approach to emphasize the intricacy of the Captain's uniform and simply mount him on a plain wood base with no ground work but with perhaps a stack of cannon balls to represent the Royal Horse Artillery.

IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1186.jpg
    Perseas, Erbay and Nap like this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Capt. Mercer, minus his helmet plume, finally sees the light of day. If you look closely at his right profile (and for those of you old enough to remember) I gave the good Capt. a scar on his right cheek a la GI Joe/Action Man - can't do much about the lifelike hair and beard- sorry about that - kung fu grip comes later.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.19.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.20.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.23.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.20.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.20.56 PM.png
  6. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Somebody send for the pelisse! (sorry)

1/9 scale Capt. Mercer, Waterloo, by Mitches Military Models. Head and pelisse completed.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.53.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.53.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 2.06.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.54.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.54.54 PM.png
  7. Scott Sheltz Active Member

United-States
    Blues look fabulous!
  8. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    very, very nice.
  9. IvorD New Member

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive.
  10. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Rick

Great update , those blues are really fgood and do like the tidy lacework

Coming along really well now

I merged all the threads so we can all follow the WIP easily

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Nap, and thanks to all. Much appreciated.
    Nap likes this.
  12. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    ...but still a long way to go. Lace is complete ex some minor touchup (and there was much rejoicing!) and the arms are attached. Pelisse was temporarily attached to give a more complete picture of the state of the figure. Cannon balls are .50 cal musket balls which in scale would approximate an 8 lb cannon.
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.47.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.47.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.48.03 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.48.43 AM.png
    malc, Erbay, Perseas and 2 others like this.
  13. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Rick

Good update on the figure ..it's getting there ...nice to see arms !

I moved # 4 to the original thread ...suggest you post #5 updates etc here as well ..makes it easier to follow the build

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks, Nap. Can you imagine trying to paint the lace with the arms attached?
    Nap likes this.
  15. Airkid PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Nice, tidy work Rick. The face is very good. I think the minimalist base will work well.

Phil
  16. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Capt. Mercer X 5 - Captain's Got a New Pair of Pants

Captain has a new pair of pants... unfortunately for this painter they were white pants.

White is right up there with yellow on the difficulty index as far as I'm concerned. Operating under my theory that white isn't really white, nor is it a very light grey or anything easy like that, I obtained the color with an undercoat of Game Color Elfic Flesh 72.098 (3 coats to be precise) topped off with two dry brush coats, the first of Vallejo Off White 70.820, the last, very lightly and hitting primarily the high spots, Vallejo White 70.951. Plus a spot of Vallejo Sky Grey 70.989 to create shadow here and there... and Viola!! (don't write, I know it's voila but I like viola better) there you have it...

Larsen E. Whipsnade White.

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 9.44.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 9.45.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 9.45.26 AM.png
    malc, Perseas and Erbay like this.
  17. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there

Who doesn't like painting whites !! ....yours looks good , nice to see what colours ou used

Look forward to more on the Captain

Happy benchtime

Nap
  18. Larsen E. Whipsnade PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Capt. Mercer X 6 - Just a Boy and His Cannonballs

Mercer complete but waiting the delivery of a display base before I post the figure in the Completed Figures forum.

For anyone possibly considering this figure the only suggestion I have is to attach the sword and sword hangers before you glue on the pelisse. I didn't and it made attaching the sword and straps more difficult than it needed to be.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.08.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.08.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.08.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.08.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.09.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.09.35 PM.png
    Erbay, Old Pete and Perseas like this.