1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/9 USMC BAR-gunner, Chosin Reservoir, Nov-Des 1950

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Recon, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Recon Active Member

Norway
    [IMG]

Hi Everybody!

Here is my newest sculpt, not depicting a single soldier, but based on several pictures of Marines taken during the fighting that occured when the United Nations forces reached the Chosin Reservoir (Japanese spelling) in Nov. 1950.

The sculpt was more or less finished and almost sent to casting the same day as Young Miniatures announced the release of their very nice USMC Chosin bust last year, so I put it away for some weeks. The busts were quite similiar at that moment, as I imagine that they were based on the same pictures, with a M1 rifle and the same cut of the chest. So I decided to rework it and add a whole BAR instead. The arms were also added along with the full front of the parka down to the ammunition belt. Along the way I was thinking about scrapping the whole project, but now that I see the finished result I am happy I didnt.

The bust is sculpted from Super sculpey firm, and the BAR is made from different sizes of plastic card and stock, and also some Magic sculpt. It was made after measurements and pictures that I got at the Norwegian armed forces museum, wich has one of the largest collections of firearms in the world.

A little more refinement is needed before it will be sent to a caster, and the bust/half figure will hopefully be released by a new company in the coming months.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments are welcome!
    Vaux, Gellso, Tarracus and 10 others like this.
  2. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I like it. As a buyer of as many good USMC figs as I can find, this is a must have, I'm glad you didn't scrap it. I like the half figs with gear much better than the pure head and shoulders busts.
    If it were me I would fill the hollow in the back. Just my opinion that on a bust, if you show one area down to a certain level, everything around it should be down to that general area as well. The complete BAR on an incomplete back looks a little odd. The front looks so good, as does the BAR, finishing the back would make it just that much better. I would like it even more if you showed the BAR ammo belt and pouches. Other than that, bring it on! Oh, and good job on the helmet. Too often the M1 steel pot is portrayed too flat or small, yours looks very good.
    Recon, Martin64 and crf like this.
  3. Sokol Member

Hungary
    Cracking work (y) !

Jason is right. A magazine belt throwed carelessly on his left shoulder would provide a little more balance.
    But it is in his current form to a beautiful sculpture! Congratulations!
    Recon likes this.
  4. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    If a belt was done, I would prefer to see it around his waist
    Over the shoulder would give the impression of relaxed mood or situation, the last thing the Reservoir was.
    Recon likes this.
  5. Don Well-Known Member

Like this figure, very well done on the sculpt. Like the fact that his weapon is full size and fits nicely over the base.
    I think I agree with the others and would fill the back in, just to give him a more finished look if you know what I mean. I think it strange he has a full size weapon and a hollow back.
    Just an opinion, still a lovely figure though.

Don
    Recon and JasonB like this.
  6. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Sverre, excellent sculpt, very naturals folds, sharp details and a talkative character! You may agree with the fellas on the hollow back, in my opinion bust are more about the character, not that much of a 360 degree subject and the back is less important, it's a matter of personal taste. Congrats!!! (y)

Cheers
    Denes
    Recon likes this.
  7. Recon Active Member

Norway
    Thanks a lot for all the comments and suggestions, guys! I really appreciate you taking the time!

Regarding the back of the figure, I see your point about filling it down so that it looks more complete. At this point though I think I will leave it as is, both because of the quite substancial weight increase of the bust (and all that has to say for casting and shipping cost), and also to put a bit more focus on the front. But if someone would like to fill in the back to create a bust a bit different from others, it should be an easy and straightforward job! :)

I will keep the suggestions with me though, and keep them in mind for my next bust featuring a deeper front than back.

JasonB: Im glad to hear that you like USMC subjects, because there will be more of them from my workbench in the future, both WW2 and later conflicts. Regarding the M1, I take pride in creating the equipment for my busts, and want them to portray reality as closely as possible. My M1 was created using measurements from a M1 that I have in my collection, so I had refrences close by. I also added a loose and worn helmet cover, as to show something else than the tightly applied covers that "usually" was the norm in more peaceful times.

I have also enclosed some of the pictures i used for inspiration in the process. All of them are found troughout the web and are added here for discussion only.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thanks again for your comments!
    Don and Joe55 like this.
  8. Don Well-Known Member

Recon, I was not critisizing your wonderful bust in any way, just thought it strange with the hollow back as your eye would be drawn to the full size weapon.
    Like you I know that if you dont like that you can fill it in. Nothing detracts from how good a figure it is.
    Great work indeed.

Don
  9. Recon Active Member

Norway
    Critizism and practice is what makes us all better, Don! :)
    I hope it didnt seem that I took the critizism regarding the back of the figure the wrong way, Im just pleased that you guys took the time to write a few lines with your thoughts!

-Sverre