1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/9 Scale Kharkov MG-Gunner

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin64, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    While painting is underway I want to show you my progress on the MG-Gunner produced by PMC-Miniatures. Your hobby-related feedback is appreciated. Thanks to Chris from PMC for his great customer service. All the best! Martin

Attached Files:

jimmy1969, Manfred, kaz6120 and 4 others like this.
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This Soldier is looking pretty nice Martin. I wish I could see it in person. You did a good job on presenting him with that steely eyed look, and the wear and tear on the stahlhelm is great (y)!!

Joe
  3. Panzer Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Martin
    The figure is looking great! One suggestion; I would tone down the highlight above the lip area.
    Keep up the good work.
    Mrosko
  4. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Martin, great job! (y)

How did you made the helmet?

Best Regards

Filipe from Brazil
  5. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you for the comments guys!
    I will doublecheck the highlights in the face but have to say that the lighting in the pics is somewhat misleading. I will try to post better pics later.
    The faded whitewash on the helmet was a kind of experiment. I used some pictures as reference and for inspiration. The helmet was painted first in a dark field grey tone. The whitewash was done with off-white and white tones and was dabbed on with a piece of foam taken from a box of the grey army. You can use a small sponge either. The amount of color loaded on the sponge should not be too much - it is closer to drybrushing. All colors used were acrylics from the Vallejo and Andrea ranges.
    If you were going too far with the whitewash it is easy to correct it by using the "sponge technique" the other way around and dab some field gray on top of the helmet. Smaller scratches were finally done with the tip of the brush. Final weathering effects came from the Tamiya weathering set. These pigments were applied with a moist brush.
    Hope that you could get how I did it because English is not my mothertongue.
    All the best
    Martin
  6. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Martin

Great explanation, thank you very much. (y)

Best regards

Filipe from Brazil
  7. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    I love your work on winter effect on helmet, fur looks really nice.
    I'll be watching.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you for the comments Kazufumi,
    I follow your blog as well and like your rendition of this figure - above all the expressive face. Did you broaden the area around the cheekbones on your model?
    All the best
    Martin
  9. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    View attachment 94539
    Hello fellow Planeteers!
    Some progress on the 1/9 scale Machine Gunner from PMC. I would like to point out, that changes on the weapon were done for purpose. The bipod was detailed and put into the correct unfolded position. If the bipod is not arrested underneath the barrel it will unfold due to a spring mechanism. Therefore it cannot stay in the halfway folded/unfolded position - as depicted on the original sculpt of John Rosengrant - as long as you do not press the arms of the bipod together with your hand (for example while firing the weapon from the hip).
    Furtheron the ammo belt will always be slung at least twice around the weapon while marching along and will not hang down below the knees although it looks cool.
    The reasons are obvious: The belt will get caught by obstacles and the dirt on the ammo might cause malfunction. Last but not least the ammo has sharp tips and will be very uncomfortable to carry in the way depicted on the box art.
    I tell you from own experience because a slightly modified version of this weapon is still in service in the modern German army and I was operating one of them with the paras in the eighties.

Comments welcome. All the best, Martin

IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG IMG_2004.JPG
    Dan Morton and stu like this.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice work!

Pedro.
  11. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Wow, martin, you are way faster than me! :) *YOU did a great job on him!

Yes I changed the shape of the cheekbone a little bit.
    Martin64 likes this.
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you for the nice comment Kaz - my progress is faster because I did not choose the more complicated (con)version for the Italian camouflage:). Your adjustment around the cheekbones looks perfect.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice work Martin. I like the face and weapon particularly. How did you do the MG? (on the model I mean...;-)

Cheers,
    Adrian
  14. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Adrian, the MG was done with a mixture of Vallejo black and Boltgun Metal from the Games Workshop range. BTW I can recommend Boltgun Metal and Mithril Silver from that range for achieving realistic metal effects quite easily. Finally the weapon received a wash of pure black and highlights were done ("rubbed on") with a pure graphite pen (available in artist shops).
    Cheers, Martin
  15. Manfred Active Member

Quite nice work, old man :D
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks Martin.

Adrian