1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed 1/9 ANZAC bust, Gallipoli, Model Cellar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tony Dawe, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys

My latest project is a bust of an ANZAC (Australian & New Zealand Army Corps) soldier at Gallipoli 1916.

The bust is intended to represent an Aussie, as it provides two versions of the distinctive Australian slouch hat ( one version with the left side of the brim folded up and the other with the brim flat).

My version will be a Kiwi, so I have to convert the slouch hat to a “lemon squeezer “ hat worn by the New Zealand contingent. As with all things Kiwi, I am consulting with my friend Mike Butler, to ensure historical accuracy. Given he painted the box art for this bust, he’s definitely the right person to talk to.

The head gear is the only difference in the uniform between Australian and New Zealand troops, so the conversion is relatively simple.

I’ll post some SBS pics at various stages of the process to share my progress and techniques.

89622CD2-7BBA-4999-8B4D-4577A6F3075C.jpeg 99E8A92C-B454-4082-A2A4-7D4A7238591F.jpeg B0D9482F-F6BA-4240-ADDF-0F4F02EA233B.jpeg 83395B41-7A63-4518-A5AC-8939AA25EC30.jpeg AEF9500E-424E-4A54-86E0-77FB354900EE.jpeg BA8E4291-FC1C-44CC-8CEE-1FD6686CBFD9.jpeg EE80F0FD-C8F5-4628-A889-932323FFF5FF.jpeg 5696C812-E070-4381-92BE-06C1E6EE7E67.jpeg
  2. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You can see why they called it the 'lemon squeezer' unusual looking hat, looking forward to your version Tony.
    Cheers
    Steve
    captnenglish and Tony Dawe like this.
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    He looks like a very sculpt Tony.
    Following your progress with the usual fantastic skill Mate
    Keith
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  4. Wally Active Member

New_Zealand
    Kiwis also wore the slouch hat and peaked cap with neck flap. Depends on regiment that you wish to depicy
    winfield and Nap like this.
  5. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

Wally, thanks. I’m attempting to convert this Aussie Digger into a Kiwi, specifically a member of the Otago Battalion of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF), prior to the reorganisation later in 1916. There’s so few Kiwi figures and busts on the market (apart from Maori) that I wanted this conversion to be identifiably a Kiwi, which is why I’m adding the “lemon squeezer”. I know slouch hats and field caps were also worn, but to me that doesn’t help identify him as a Kiwi.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

Great to see you at the bench , I think I have this in the GA ...somewhere !

It's a good piece from Steve ( aka Valiant here on PF) and a fine subject

I like the conversion your doing , the headwear does I agree say "Kiwi"

With Mike on board , no better artist ...this is going to be good to follow

Enjoy the brushes

Look forward to updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Tony Dawe and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  7. Wally Active Member

New_Zealand
    Fair enough Tony. If you check on line the lemon squeezer did not come into widespread use to 1916.
    So the guys in Taranaki started to wear the hat shaped like Mount Taranaki prior to Ww1.
    There are quite a number of the Otago Regiment wearing the peaked hat with neck flap.
    Of course what makes the slouch hat/lemon squeezer unique to New Zealand is the pugaree which had the corps colours therein. As per your lemon squeezer pic.
    Have fun and enjoy
    Tony Dawe, Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  8. Eckers Gregory Active Member

Australia
    Great to see you back on the brushes Tony.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  9. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Greg

Base coating done in Josonja acrylics. I’ve chosen the greyback shirt rather than a white shirt.
    Now onto the face painting. Good times.

6172D3B1-6163-40FD-916C-F029884BFD3B.jpeg 054278A9-24F7-43D1-A756-788982E96633.jpeg
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great start Tony, I like you shirt choice, contrasts nicely with the webbing.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Tony Dawe and Mike - The Kiwi like this.
  11. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Tony so good to see you back in action!
    Stoked to see you doing a Kiwi with this bust. It will be a nice tribute to ANZAC Diggers.

I had lot of fun painting this, especially enjoyed trying to get scary, sweat & gungey appearance.
    Here’s my efforts for those that may have missed it:
    • Work In Progress https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mikes-gallipoli-digger-bust.101061/
    • Completed Boxart https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/mikes-anzac-digger-bust-from-model-cellar.103568/

Miss doing big figures & busts.
    I’m sure this will inspire me to have a crack at some before year is out too.
    Keep those brushes swishing mate!
    MikeTheKiwi
    Tony Dawe, Nap and Eckers Gregory like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Tony

Good times indeed , very neat basecoating there

Look forward to more on this especially when you do the headwear

can't find mine in the GA ...sad ...might be after one !

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  13. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Well it’s been a while since I started this thread and I’ve been plodding along with the face and skin tones. One thing’s for sure, I’m no Mike Butler. I’ve done my best so far, and I have much still to do but I’m certainly aware of my limitations.

Just acrylics so far.

F423EED1-CE24-4B5B-993D-84F70816C074.jpeg D50DC945-C4B3-4FC9-B949-453A7B3CA122.jpeg
  14. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Looks good Tony.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

That's coming on nicely there , will you use oils on the face as well?

Have you painted the shirt again ?

Thanks for sharing

Enjoy the benchtime

Nap
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  16. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Good to see progress Tony.
    Can I make small suggestion mate ref iris
    - try a little green in shadow area & lighten highlight to pale blue.
    They look bit too much like shirt at present.
    Keep it coming mate!
    MikeTheKiwi
    Tony Dawe and Nap like this.
  17. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Mike, I’m heading into the man cave for another session with the hairy sticks and will certainly follow your advice.
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  18. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Chris, Nap and Mike,
    Thanks again for your comments.

I’ve had a productive session at the workbench, and made some progress.

The shirt has been stippled using a chisel brush to create a slightly rough texture, using Nimbus Grey and French Blue.

I’ve also applied the first black wash around the webbing straps and ammo pouches.

Mike I followed your suggestion of adding green to the iris and some pale light blue. They’re not quite finished but getting better every time I go back and keep working on them.

02C078D7-7602-4D48-8C27-557EC661F9CE.jpeg 334E5E1F-5837-48A9-A6BD-4F58E13131BD.jpeg 847318B0-911A-4773-96E7-F55AFF27CBB8.jpeg
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great progress Tony
    Press on Mate
    Keith
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  20. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Coming along nicely Tony. It'll be up to your usual high standard without doubt.

Cheers
    Chris
    Nap likes this.