1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique 1/6th scale RAAF Spitfire Pilot, 1942

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Apr 14, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys, although I said I was going to leave this figure on top of the fridge for a few days to observe it carefully, I've started painting body hair on the arms, legs and chest.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to do in 1/6th scale. The key is knowing when to stop.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You don't want an hairy airman.
    Carl.
  3. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    When I saw the first picture I thought the pilot just got off the plane.
    Very good job!!!

Alexandros
  4. robinh002 New Member

United-States
    R A A F Pilot

this is excellent work , what medium are you using ?do you put much contrast in to bigger figures ? would be nice to see an article on how you painted him BRAVO !!! (y):D:D
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Alexandros and Robin, thanks for your comments guys.

I undercoated the figure in acrylics and have applied a thin coat of oils, mostly Titanium White, the reduce the contrast, and emphasise the effect of sunlight.

Now that I'm putting on the finishing touches I'm using acrylics, oils, enamels, pastels, graphite, dullcoat and combinations of all these to achieve the final effects.

I have tried to do an SBS photo to help other modellers understand the process of painting 1/6th scale figures, and I think I'll let the pictures do the talking.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Close Ups

I've done a few "touch ups" and taken a few close ups. :cool:

The most obvious changes since my last set of pics is the darkening of the skin. I've lightly applied multiple washes of Vermillion Red oil mixed with White spirits over all the acrylic flesh areas to deepen the skin colour, smooth the blending in colour transition zones and boost the shadow areas to reflect a deeper desert sun tan. I've also started adding fine hairs on the legs and the left arm.

I've used a single light source to take these pics to illustrate the point about contrast and painting large scale figures. The bigger the size and scale of your figure, the less contrast required, and vice versa.;)

Compared to the last pics I posted, I feel these pics show that I can take this paint job to the next level.:cool: The trick is knowing when to stop, and say "That's done.":confused: These Naked Army kits are so big and detailed that no matter how much attention to detail you have, you always seem to miss a bit and see something that needs improving.;)

I feel like I'm now 95% done, but it's the next 5% that will determine if I can "take it to the next level" as a figure painter. I want this to be the best figure I've ever painted. :D

Attached Files:

7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  8. Cheung Active Member

HongKong
    Outstanding job!!!(y)

Cheung
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony. stunning work. However I don't think you're given a thought to the poor bride, when the groom realise's that every time he gets married he's gonna get a masterpiece like this then I'd give the marriage 6 months tops.:D Lucky guy.
    Cheers Ken
  10. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Really pushing that envelope with fine details.
    Eye lashes next, no doubt. The neck looks better now, and the subtle handling of the textures is coming along sweetly.

Flight helmet looks suitably used, with out looking like it's two uses from the trash heap.

Now for that last 5%.....

good work Tony, definitely as study piece for both yourself in subtlety, and us observers.

Cheers
  11. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Tony,Fantastic work(y)Very realistic.I find it is one of those figures you want to keep coming back to look at and see something new each time.Well done mate;)

Regards,John
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    almost done

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your encouragement.

Here are a few more pics. You can't see much of the detail in these pics, but you can see how the figure looks as a whole.:cool:

He's now about 99% done, but every time I look at him, I see something else that needs attention.:p

Attached Files:

13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent Tony, one of your best to date.
    Carl.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks mate,

I humbly agree with you:eek:. I don't want this to be just "one of the best" figures I've ever done, I want it to be my best ever(y).

It's not there yet, but I know I'm close.;);)

Others may disagree:cool:, but I still consider my damaged Monash bust my best work to date, and the fact that I sculpted it and painted it made it all the more frustrating when I couldn't enter into WASMEx or take it to Euro Militaire last year:(:(:(.

This Spitfire Pilot figure will be on display at the wedding reception, along with loads of other presents and I know it will attract a lot of attention particularly from the groom and his pilot mates(y)(y). For them, I want to get it right. Afterwards I hope it will occupy a place of honour in their new home or in my mate's office, where it will be a happy reminder of their union and my friendship:D.

Thanks once again to everyone who has posted messages of encouragement and support on this thread. It's a pity these Naked Army kits look 100% better in the flesh compared to my lousy photos, but it will have to do.;)

Since it seems I now have some unexpected "hobby time" on my hands:D, I've got a 120mm Afghanistan soldier to finish, a Pirate bust conversion to finish, a 54mm Macedonian General to finish and a drawer full of unbuilt kits to occupy myself.:eek::p:p

Funnily enough, after building and painting this kit in just 2 weeks, I'm keen to have a crack at another Naked Army kit.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep working on a not-so-secret project to convert a Carl Reid bust into a full figure.;)
  15. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Tony,

oustanding work, besides the detailed and very lifelike painting, the most I like about it that the whole piece looks really natural alltogether.

Thanks for sharing!
    D.
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks very much Denes,

That was the effect I was trying to achieve. I'm glad you like it mate.
  17. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    very cool job Tony !! i like what you have done

cheers

stefano
  18. leokc_ng Member

Australia
    God! The skin tone and the hair is amazing!!
    Tony I salute you
  19. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Tony,
    definitely heading for your best ever....

Looking forward to how you'll push the envelope on the next figure after this!

Question; will you have a display case to protect it from inquisitive fingers at the reception?

I did, worked for me...sent the subtle message to "look, Not play"

Cheers
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Stefano, Leo and Jamie,

I hadn't thought of putting him under a display case. I'll add a wooden base under the figure with a brass name plate and an RAAF badge. Anyone putting their fingers on this will have me to answer to.