1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/6th SAS Vietnam - Step 3, 4 & 5 - Shadows,Top Highlights & Dirt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 27, 2007.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Steps 3 & 4 - Shadows & Top Highlights & Dirty Him Up

Hi guys

I've jumped around a bit in the last day or two, rather than stick to my glorious 7 Step Plan:eek: . Instead, I've gone with whatever feels right at the time and had some fun:D .

The latest pics show the figure with more shadows and highlights added. I've also attacked the entire figure with earth tone pastels to dirty him up a lot.:D :D

I've base coated the groundwork and the SAS Regimental badge featuring the famous "Who Dares Wins" motto. Still a lot of work to do there!

The smoke grenade has not been done yet (I'm hoping to get a real one to use for reference:cool: ), and the hair and head band still require more highlights and shadows and blending.

As always, I welcome your comments/ criticisms.:)

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hiya mate..........just one word IMHO.....AWESOME!!!!! My Compliments :)

Ray ;)
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Ray

Coming from you mate, that means a lot.

Cheers
  4. eissteban Active Member

France
    Hi Tony
    Your paint is really beautiful
    This guy is so, so, real at this scale.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintjob.
    Great

Marc
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Seb, Marc - Thanks for posting your kind comments:) :) .

He's really starting to look quite scary up close!!:eek: His eyes seem to follow me around the room. I'm waiting for him to jump down off my table and disappear into the long grass in the back yard!!!:cool: :cool:

I started this figure just under 2 weeks ago, and have spent 40-45 hours painting him so far. Even though he looks reasonably complete, there is still a hell of a lot of painting still to be done.;)

Cheers
  7. eissteban Active Member

France
    for sure he will be in good place in your showcase
  8. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Tony,just seen your figure.Fantastic work mate.I especially like the way you have painted his face and the treatment of the camo paint.Look forward to see the final result.
    Kind regards John:):):)
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Looking GOOD, Tony !

Hi Tony !
    The figure looks EXCELLENT in the photos !!! You're right, even the close-up shots of the face seem to follow me around each time I log-on to your thread :eek::eek::eek: !!!!!! Scary ! But seriously, that's one beautiful and uber-realistic figure that you are working on right now, Tony. WELL DONE !!!
    Kenneth :D.
  10. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'Day Tony.
    Mate the cam is SUPERB , i love the way he's coming to life , really starting to look like the lads in the Regt who have done the hard yards.
    You should be very proud of the way he's coming along.
    Cheers
    Alan
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Seb, John, Kenneth and Alan - thank you all for posting your kind and generous comments:) :) . I'm very pleased that you like how he's progressing.

My good mate Chris, who served in the SAS for many years and is also beginning to take an interest in figure modelling (he and I own this figure 50/50), came around to my place for dinner last night and spent a long time checking the SAS figure over. We both agree that the Naked Army sculptor has done an amazing job in creating such a realistic and accurate, and managed to get it almost 100% right!

I was concerned that my painting might have failed to do justice to the sculpter, so I called in an expert for his opinion. His verdict was that the painting was almost "spot on" for accuracy, but needed about 300% more mud and dirt to be truely authentic:eek::eek: :eek: .

I'm not sure I will go quite that far, but I will continue to dirty him up until I think I've got the balance right. I don't want to obscure all that amazing detail under tonnes of scale mud.

After Chris went home last night, I printed some colour pics from Google Images of the M18 Smoke Grenade hanging from one the ammunition pouches, and then started to hand paint the markings on. I'll post some more pics in a couple of days.

Cheers
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Smoke Grenade

Here are the latest pics, showing the smoke grenade. I haven't shaded or highlighted yet. Hope you like.:) :)

Cheers

Attached Files:

13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome painting Tony. Like the overall effect you have achieved.
  14. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Your "monster" is going great Tony. Patiently it will finish soon and you will be proud for it. Keep up the good work.

Xenofon
  15. PHIL WALDEN Member

Hay cobber,...
    been watching you, hes coming along cool, but slow down a little, put on top of the fridge for a few nights and just look at him from all points....its like seeing some thing for the first time..see where I'm coming from..

stay cool bro..Phil...
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Latest Pics

Here are the latest pics.

Changes are now more subtle and involve micro detailing the metal fixtures and refreshing some of the highlights and shadows on the clothing. The eyeballs, hands and face have been given a coat of gloss acrylic lacquer to simulate sweat and the natural sheen of skin. More mud added to the boots and lower half of the trousers, elbows and webbing. Ground work and SAS badge still incomplete.

I'm not sure what Step I'm up to now. I guess I'm now putting the finishing touches on him, so this must be Step 7.

Cheers

Attached Files:

17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Just and awesome figure.
    Cheers
    John
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Tony,
    I like every bit of it. Great work, great piece.

Marc
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Tony -

WOW!

All the best,
    Dan