1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/6th SAS Vietnam - Step 2 - Highlights (Face & Pack)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 26, 2007.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Step 2 - Highlights (Face & Pack)

Latest WIP pics for you to see:) :) .

Having applied a series of thin washes of black over all the non-flesh areas, I've now started to highlight. Some areas are simply drybrushed with the base coat (with a bit of Buff & Sunny Skintone added), others (particularly where camoflague paint has been applied to the webbing) have been highlighted and blended using specially mixes colours.

According to my research, SAS would have used 3 paint colours from Q stores (black, brown and olive drab) to camoflague their own personal kit, so each soldiers' webbing would look very individual and unqiue.

The face is coming along but still needs more dirt, sweat stains, mud and smeared camo. I've added some redness under the eyes to convey the exhaustion and tension in the face, and I've added a small blood trickle behind the left ear and a cut on his left index finger to show a bit of "claret". Even without contact with the enemy, most diggers on patrol in SVN would have picked up loads of cuts and scratches from the thick jungle, which unless treated would become septic very quickly and lead to infections.

Still some more work to do on the hair and the scrim headband. I'm pleased with the eyes and the lips so far. You probably can't see the red blood vessels in the eyes, but I know they're there;) .

Any comments/ criticisms are gratefully accepted:) .

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very good Tony, extremely lifelike. Keep posting your progress, it's interesting to see the fig advance.

Roger
  3. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Getting very good. Looking at the picture, the highlihgt of the hair looks a bit too light. Might be the photo of course.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Vergilius, thanks for your comments. I haven't painted the hair yet mate (what you can see is what's left of the brown undercoat).

I use the top of the head to hold the figure steady while I'm painting him so there's no point in finishing the hair until everything else is done.

Roger - thanks mate.
    Cheers
  5. Sam Active Member

Malta
    Hey mate,

Love the face a lot :)

Looking forward to see more;)

Regards,

Samwel Vella
  6. dinovision79 Active Member

Hungary
    Hi Tony,

he looks absolutely great, as Roger said, very lifelike, I especially like the face and equipment camo!

Thanks
    Denes
  7. eissteban Active Member

France
    at this scale t's so real
  8. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    AWESOME Tony !

Hi Tony !
    That's a really "realistic" figure you've got going there, mate :eek: ! WELL DONE ! Keep up the good progress and I'll be looking forward to seeing how this project will finally turn-out ;). Cheers !
    Kenneth :D.
  9. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    G'Day Tony.
    He certainly is coming along nicley,keep the pics coming,I'll phone later in the week.Keep up the good work,you are doing justice and honour to the men who wore that uniform.
    Cheers
    Alan
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Sam, Denes, Seb and Kenneth - thanks guys I truley appreciate it when you guys take the time to send me your comments and encouragement, and its great to receive such positive feedback.

Alan - thanks mate. You know what it means to me to do this particular figure. I'm waiting for my mate Chris to come around later this week to cast his eye over the figure and check it for accuracy. If I get a thumbs up from him, then I know I'm on the right track.

As you know Alan, these figures are so big that it's almost impossible to know when its time to stop painting, as there always seems to be something else that needs doing. Right now almost nothing is finished and everything is still to do.

Nonetheless, this has been one of the most enjoyable figures I've painted so far, and with so many Planeteers following my progress now there's no way I'll be able to stop work on him until he's finished.

Cheers
    jmedinah likes this.
  11. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Tony
    Very well done, the face is great! Looks very realistic.
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Tony this is looking really good. Keep showing us please

Stephen Mallia
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Rob, Stephen - thanks for your comments and encouragement. I'll post some more photos next weekend when I have some time to get stuck in and make some more progress.

Cheers
  14. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work so far!!!
    christos
  15. godfather Member

I agree with the others a very nicely painted figure. I am particularly impressed with the lips they look very realistic. What colours did you use (oils or acrylics or both). Thanks
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Christos, Godfather - thanks for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.

I am painting this figure in Vallejo acrylics. The lips were painted with a mixture of medium flesh and a drop of Flat Red. To simulate the chapped and cracked lips, I painted small lines of Flat Red onto the base colour and added a dilute wash of base colour and Sunny Skintone between the lines to provide a subtle highlight.
    Cheers
  17. godfather Member

thanks very helpful!
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    No worries mate. I have updated this blog if you want to see the latest pics.

Cheers