1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

1/6th SAS Vietnam - Naked Army

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Nov 18, 2007.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys

Here are the first pics of Naked Army's amazing 1/6th scale (315mm) figure of an Australian SAS tropper on patrol in Phouc Thuy province, South Vietnam circa 197/2.

The figure is produced in cold cast bronze and is a limited edition (only 500 produced), to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the formation of the SAS as part of the Australian Army. Strictly speaking he's not a kit, as there is no assembly required.

Apart from the incredible detail (which includes sculpting the camoflague pattern on the uniform:eek: ) this figure (as are all Naked Army figures) is impeccably and exhaustively researched and is 100% accurate.:) :)

The figure is carrying a heavily modified short barrelled L1A1 SLR rifle. Modifications include the addition of a 30 round magazine, removal of the sling swivels, bayonet boss and conversion to fully automatic fire. The barrel was shortened to increase muzzle flash (to convince the enemy they were facing 50 cal machine guns) and therefore create a brief moment of disorientation among their attackers to allow the troppers to withdraw from contact.

Most of the pack, belt kit and webbing is a combination of US, British and Australian, including the ARVN (South Vietnamese Army) Ranger packs which were locally made. The US ERDL camoflague pattern uniform was issued to SAS in Vietnam and one set of clothes would very rarely survive more than 3 patrols before it was rotted and worn and had to be replaced.

SAS are masters of long-range recon patrols and ambushing and every part of their skin, kit and weapon was camofagued to maximise stealth and ensure their presence remained undetected. Patrols often lasted for 2 weeks and each soldier, in addition to carrying his own personal kit would be required to carry other equiptment for use y his 5 man patrol team (such as Claymore mines, radio et, spare ammo, etc etc).

I intend to paint him in acrylics, with oils used on the flesh areas (which will be camoflagued). I want to show the figure as he would appear after coming back from a long patrol - ie. covered in filth, sweat, mud and crap.

I've taken a pic of the new SAS figure next to one of my other Naked Army 1/6th scale figures to give you some idea of how BIG these guys are.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks to my good mate Chris Nally :cool: (ex-SAS) who has been extremely helpful in providing photos and actual items of clothing and kit for reference.

For more pics, click on the link to my KitPic folder.

I hope you like.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. dinovision79 Active Member

Hungary
    Hi Tony,

what a 'great' figure! How are you gonna handle the recess camuflage pattern?
    Looking forward to see the process on this guy!
    Denes
  3. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Great work,I don't like the scale but very nice sculpt.
    Regards Jose Luis
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome size Tony. It would be like painting my grandson as far as size. I look forward to your painting of this giant.
  5. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Tony.
    I do like this figure a lot!
    Is it posible to take a look of the back?

Diego
  6. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Tony
    excellent my friend :)
    i don't like so much the big scales but i like watch a beautiful model
    Continue, you do a great work.
    Seb.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement.

Most of you seem impressed or put off by the large scale. It's really not that bad, in fact it allows you paint a level of detail into a figure that most 54mm and 90mm figure modellers can never achieve. I certainly don't claim to be able to do this myself.

I'm very self critical when it comes to any figure I paint, but I really enjoy the detail that Naked Army is able to reproduce, and since I've worn or carried most of the uniforms and weapons these figures represent, I can bring a lot of my own personal experience to bear when it comes to painting and weathering these maginficent ANZAC figures.

I paint these figures to remember the soldiers who served and who didn't come back. It's more than just a hobby, its a way of paying respect. I like to give away my best pieces to old soldiers or their relatives, because I know they have as much meaning to someone else, as they do to me.

This figure is for Chris, and The 300.

Cheers
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The sculpting on both figures is top shelf. ~Gary
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    More pics 1/6th SAS Vietnam - Naked Army

Cheers

Attached Files:

10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I've painted several super sized figures over the years and the problem is not the size, actually they were a joy to paint, but the (put-off) main issue of why I have not done more of them was the cost factor and display factor. None of them fit in any case I have. All of them were done for collectors, who had the display space needed.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Guy

The biggest problem painting a bronze cast figure that is 31.5 centemetres tall is the weight, and the strain on the wrists as your paint it. It's quite a good workout!!.

Rather than airbrush this figure I will hand paint it all, and then use my pastels and oils in a series of washes and dustings to create the weathering effects reflecting the harsh tropical jungle conditions and the length of time, and age of the clothing he's wearing.

I've started base coating the trousers tonight and will have progress pics after I finish each major section, SBS.

Cheers
  12. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    WOW - what a figure!!!
  13. RobertC33 Well-Known Member

HongKong
    Very nice figure. This is one of the best I've seen for the VN era.
    Robert
  14. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    I love that statue, too bad it's not a resin kit. I would buy one. Thanks for posting the Naked army stuff, really interesting.
  15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Tony, even though it's too big for my taste it's a tremendous sculpt. My compliments

Stephen Mallia