1/6th Naked Army WW1 Aust. Mounted Artillery Trooper (Step 2)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 25, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys

I've spent this evening painting the eyes. Its taken at least three attempts to get them looking right, although there's still a bit of tidying up to do.

As the iris is hollowed out, I will fill it in with clear gloss lacquer until the eyeball is rounded and smooth.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Sam Active Member

Malta
    Hi Tony looks good from here:))

One thing though and if I am incorrect please tell me the lower highlight of the eye is to thin. maybe if you do soe intermediate lights in the lower area the eye would be more explained cause in this scale they have to be like a bust :)))) As Ray my clubmate once said to me '' the eyes are the door to the soul;; :))))

Regards,

Samwel Vella

P.S. Thanks for your comment on the pirate :))
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Sam,

Many thanks for your comments on my Trooper. I agree with your comments about the highlights around the eyes. I'll tone down the contrast between the base colour and the highlight colour with some medium flesh, mixed with a little bit of flat red. Ray's a wise man - the eyes are indeed the window/ door to the soul. One of my figure modelling mentors - Phil Walden, once told me that most people concentrate on the face, the hands and the boots when looking at figure models, and these area the areas a painter needs to focus on.

As you can see I have painted his flesh in a very orange colour (Vallejo Orange Brown) however this will eventually only be visible in the deeper shadow areas. The next step will be to cover most of the flesh areas in Vallejo medium flesh colour and the highlights in flat flesh and sunny skintone. The deepest shadows will be Orange Brown mixed with Leather Brown and Black.

The Trooper looks quite young to me (possibly in his late teens or early twenties) so I want to keep a youthful complexion on him. I might add a few freckles and pimples as well.

As you know from following my earlier SBS on the SAS Trooper, there is still a lot of painting to go before I've finished the face, so these early shots may be a bit misleading.

How's your Pirate coming mate?? I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage of his development. Did you have a look at Captain Barbosa?

Cheers
  4. Sam Active Member

Malta
    Hi Tony,

He's in some troublesome waters my pirate :p :p. Now I am making the 5 o'clock shadow to reprsent some beard :) I don't see nothing wrong with your flesh mix.

However I don't agree on using browns on flesh. Browns make the ''flesh'' look muddy :( so I advise you using vermillion puttind dabs(Just the tip of the brush) carefully and for the lsat shadow adding a bit of black to the shadow :) You can use 814(Vallejo)Burnt Cadmium Red it is also good instead of Vallejo :)

Regards,

Samwel Vella

P.S. If you want to connect me privately please do so :)